New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to hog hunting (TX) couple of questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While not new to hunting (though it's been awhile) I am new to hog hunting. A buddy of mine has a lease here in NE TX and has put out a feeder/cameras and a couple of blinds.

Last Friday we went out for the first time, got on station about 2030 and unloaded and in the blinds around 2100. We hunkered down for a wait after reviewing the cameras which showed allot of actvity at 0300 and 0700 and some at 12.

the blinds are about 30m from the feeder and the plan was to use green lights to light them up when they were busy at the feeder (also mellons and cabbage) and for to light them up
:-)

Ok, well all went well, we heard them coming in around 12...sounded pretty close so we gave it 5 more minute then lit the lights....mistake! as soon as they saw the light they started turning around my buddy took a shot but missed ( I talked to him about this as he is very new to hunting), I did not since I had no shot.

So the question;

When hunting Hogs at night how do you light them up?

Also let's say they do turn around like this last time what are the chances they might come back in a bit? Seemed like two separate groups on the camera so we were wondering if we should have just sat around for a couple more hours.

Also I chose to use an AK7.62x39 154gr sp with a H1 RDS but really did not like the way the dot appeared in the green light. my only other current options are rifles with peep sights or my CZ with a 1x4-20mm Nikon...not sure which is best?

Any help you can lend to this Novice is appreciated.

Posts: 51 | Location: NTX / NWPA | Registered: 11 September 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I hunt hogs a lot in North Carolina at night. I too use green lights. I have never had one even react when I pop the light on, giving me ample time to send lead down range. Don't know what to tell you. I would be well prepared to shoot before you turn the light on so you can shoot as soon as you bathe the hogs in light. The only time I had one react to the light was when I used a red light instead of green.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
get some of the solar lights... put them on the legs to the feeders.... it may take a take a couple nights for the hogs to get used to them, but after that, they won't mind....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
get some of the solar lights... put them on the legs to the feeders.... it may take a take a couple nights for the hogs to get used to them, but after that, they won't mind....

That is the route I am headed down at this time. The lights come on and dusk and hopefully stay on till dawn, but once the oinkers get used to them being on all the time there should not be a problem. As smart as pigs are, their stomach will eventually over-rule their brain.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hogs are like obama supporters, only smarter. They will always try to get as much free stuff as possible. If the food is there, they will show up. When is the only question. If you have a feeder on a timer, be there at least a little while before it goes off. If they are not too conditioned to getting powder burned, the feeder is their dinner bell. Be patient and sometimes you can line up 2 (or 3) w/ one shot.
One thing I have discovered is that hogs hate cold, wet weather. Unlike obama supporters, it makes them more active. Good luck on your quest.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir,

There are numerous different lights out there, I use the Elusive Wildlife technologies XLR 250. I typically set up between 80 and 165 yds. This light will illuminate both critters and the crosshairs at that distance. I typically wait until the hogs have come in and start pigging out. I point the rifle and light straight up, then come down on the target. I typically use the green light. I've used it quite a bit and have not had a problem with it spooking hogs. At 30 meters that might not be the case. EWT also makes a model 100, as well as a newer version of the xlr-250 light that has three different levels of power.

They also have feeder lights of several types.

http://www.elusivewildlife.com...uctMore&iProduct=193

I have the "feeder light immediately following set up on one feeder. It comes on at dark and stays on all night..............

http://www.elusivewildlife.com...uctMore&iProduct=340

You might check it out..........

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That hog in the fourth picture is damn funny looking Geedubya! shocker shocker beer

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
That hog in the fourth picture is damn funny looking Geedubya! shocker shocker beer

chocolate sika hoglet. jumping

and from the looks of it, he was "diggin it" in more ways than one. LOL rotflmo

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics GWB
Thanks for sharing and the info with all
of us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
quote:

chocolate sika hoglet. jumping

and from the looks of it, he was "diggin it" in more ways than one. LOL rotflmo

Best

GWB

You guys in the Southern half of Texas get all those free ranging exotics running around. How awesome that must be.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys in the Southern half of Texas get all those free ranging exotics running around. How awesome that must be.

Plus One!!! Just the idea of setting in the stand and not knowing what the hell is gonna walk out would be pretty neat. tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Plus One!!! Just the idea of setting in the stand and not knowing what the hell is gonna walk out would be pretty neat. tu2 tu2

That is what I love about being afield in the Hill Country. No telling what surprise mother nature has waiting for those patient enough to watch and "see".

Everything in the following pix were taken between 2000 and 2008, DIY on low fenced hill country ranches between 3,000 and 50,000 acres on which I had a trespass lease.

and these pale in comparison to the sunsets and vistas too numerous to post here.

Best

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the lease your buddy has is heavily & regularly hunted, that could explain the spookiness of the hogs. I've hunted hogs with about a dozen different outfitters, the smaller the property and the harder it gets hunted, the more wary the game, regardless of species. Looks like many of the above posters have offered sound advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice....we were going to wire up a green spot to the feeder anyway ....need to see if we can do this soon

Posts: 51 | Location: NTX / NWPA | Registered: 11 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,

We trap and snare hogs. We also hunt over spin cast feeders. When I'm setting up a feeder site for hogs, I do not hunt it for two to three months. I will add a bag of protien or roasted soybeans to start. After a couple months of coming to a site, with no pressure it seems to become instinctual. They seem to get in their piggy little brains that this is where the groceries are. I've hunted several sites for 7 years and still kill hogs off those feeders. I usually sit there one to three times, once a month. I keep game cams set up. Usually within 24 hours they are back. Chances are there will be more than one sounder of hogs. Also, the big boars are usually solitary and nocturnal.
Good luck on your quest.

Best,

GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been told that if you put a light on a feeder, to be sure that it does not have a definate "hard line" between the lit area and the dark area. They said that you want a soft transition from light to dark.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been told that if you put a light on a feeder, to be sure that it does not have a definate "hard line" between the lit area and the dark area. They said that you want a soft transition from light to dark.

The project I am working on addresses that somewhat. From my observations having lights that are on all or most of the night, on before the pigs come in will not have the same effect as a light coming on suddenly and lighting up the area around them.

Light at night diffuses the farther it gets from the source, so in essence, especially out in a pasture, there is no hard edge or dividing line.

The closer in toward where the light is being focused, the more light there is. As you move away from the main focal point the less light there is until you reach total darkness.

My theory is that with the light on every night, starting at dusk and setting feed times after sundown the pigs will begin associating the light and the sound of the feeder with food and no more than we pressure them, I think they will overtime get used to the lioght and have no hesitation about coming in to feed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rd and green lights don't work for me--guess the hogs are too pressured by folks with red 'n green on their hog rifles. I use the cheap WM landscape lights that come on at dark and burn for about 6-8 hrs. Takes the hogs a couple of nights to get used to them, but after that, they don't notice at all. They produce enough light to shoot from 125 yds away using a Leupold 3-9 with heavy duplex reticle. You can also get some better quality lights at HD--about $40 each but worth every penny.
Just make sure they are facing away from you and preferably not from left to right or vice versa as the shadows can be confusing if the light is from L or R.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

Sir,
respectfully, I've got several thousand images over say six months with coons, rabbits, hogs, fox, coyote, javelina and deer coming to the feeder with the feeder light. All the above pix were at that feeder.
Best way to find out is try it for yourself.
Then you will know for sure.

Best

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Hogs are like obama supporters, only smarter. (snip)

I was going to say that hogs were like Obama supporters, only tastier, but I realized that I had never barbecued and eaten an Obama supporter, and thus couldn't be entirely sure ....

For all I know, they could taste like lobsters.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Hogs are like obama supporters, only smarter. (snip)

I was going to say that hogs were like Obama supporters, only tastier, but I realized that I had never barbecued and eaten an Obama supporter, and thus couldn't be entirely sure ....

For all I know, they could taste like lobsters.

I know this ain't the ARPF, but you guys started it..........

A cannibal was walking through the jungle & came upon a restaurant operated by a fellow cannibal.

Feeling somewhat hungry, he sat down & looked over the menu...

Tourist: $5.00

Broiled Missionary: $7.00

Fried Explorer: $9.00

Freshly Baked Obama voter $150.00

The cannibal called the waiter over & asked, 'Why such a huge price difference for the Obama Voter

The waiter replied, 'Have you ever tried to clean one? They're so full of shite, it takes all morning.'

Best

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!

Good one Pard!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Geedubya IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!

Good one Pard!

+ 100

Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hogs are like obama supporters, only smarter. They will always try to get as much free stuff as possible

Somebody should give you a free hunt! rotflmo

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote