Find
Notify
Tools

Tipping Guides
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted
I have been invited to a guided wild boar hunt at a lodge in Tennessee next week. The costs are being provided for by a client. Iwas wondering how to properly tip the guides, any suggestions?

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have a Guided Javelina hunt service, and our feeling on the tipping subject is that it should be up to the individual, and how well the hunt went and the service they received.

We have had hunters that we knew really couldn't afford it tip us what they could and other that could have afforded a tip, not even say Thank You.

My personal opinion is that anyone that is in the guiding business for the tips, is in the wrong business. I am going to put the same amount of effort into getting all our clients their Javelina, and Lora is going to prepare as good a meal, each meal, as she can. If we get a tip from a client it is nice, but from a lot of our clients, a simple heart felt Thank You is sufficient.

I do think tipping should be governed by the overall experience, and not just whether a client is successful or not. I have seen this topic before on another forum I am on and in print in many different magazines.

In my opinion it should remain a personal decision of the client, and should be soley based as I said earlier on the whole experience, and not just success or failure to harvest game. But above all, a client needs to at least Thank the guides/outfitter/camp staff, and really mean it, if the hunt was run properely. If it was a total diasater, try to get the person in charge off to themselves and explain to them why you didn't like the hunt.

Again this is just my opinion.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also think it is up to the individual.
It also boils down to how much money you have or can afford. I am a working man, I give as much as I can if the guide is good at what he
is guiding for. Also if I have a good repore
with that guide.I usally alot from $100- $500
Dollars as a tip depending the cost and lenth of the hunt.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tip my guide $50. We stalk and don't use dogs, and I don't necessarily take the first hog I see, so he generally has his work cut out for him. He seems genuinely pleased with that amount; maybe I could get by with less, but he busts his butt for me.

Other guides at the same place wouldn't get more than $20, if that.

What lodge will you be hunting at?

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote