Find
Notify
Tools

Another maize thief caught in the act!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

I sat at the same spot as last week. Roe deer by the dozen and then at 22:30, two pigs skirting the fringes of the cut maize. I watched them for 30 mins a/ to make sure they had no dependent piglets (big no no in Germany) and b/ because it was fascinating watching them biting one maize stalk at the base to drop the stalk and then walking the meter plus to the cob and eating it and then when done repeating the process. In the 30 odd minutes that I watched the two hogs must have dropped 30 maize stalks and eaten 30 cobs between them! It was like watching a forester felling trees ! Very mechanical the whole thing.

The young sow then crossed the cut in the maize offering a broadside shot and the .30-06 Geco soft point did the rest dropping her on the spot with a mouthful of still unchewed maize! The cob in the picture is from me though Smiler

44 kgs dressed and on the hook with the liver and heart for the dogs tomorrow!

All around a good evening!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2262 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're on a roll Charlie!

Looks like corn cob to me though.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

George, Thats what 30 years of living in Germany does to you -
your corn is our maize ! Same thing corn = maize in German Wink

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2262 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story Charlie. Well done. Reminds me of how much I've enjoyed my own, too few, pig hunts.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2026 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie:

That's what Indians over here call it too.

Go shoot a another right quick before your luck changes.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote