New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ohio pig hunt Q's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'll put this out front. I am not a hunter I've only caped a few Ground Hogs in Ohio and other varmint but other than that I just shoot a lot. I simply don't get out to hunt. I have a friend who shoots a lot as well and we've both been wanting to go hunting in southern Ohio for pigs for a while now. I'm in college and he is paying for a house. And I don't believe in the expensive farm hunts that I see advertised. he and I are both "strapping young men" and don't mind walking all day for the chance at a pig.

I currently live in central Ohio (going to OSU) and I'm wondering if anybody knows of public hunting grounds where pig are known to wonder around. Handgun or possible rifles. I'm working on mid level loads for my .458 WM bolt action.

Yes you can shoot it...No you can't have it...Yes I will hunt you down if it turns up missing

Posts: 72 | Location: Bean town, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderwolf,
I live in Southwestern Ohio. You probably won't have much luck finding wild hogs in Ohio.

There are reports of some hogs in southeast and west central counties, but populations are thin. You would be wasting your time trying to find any.

If you really want to kill a true wild hog,save a few dollars ( I know money is tight), & head to a southern state with large populations like Florida or Texas.

With a $250 airline ticket you can hunt hogs on a ranch for $125-$400 a day.

Might take a bit of savings for a college kid, but its well worth it.

Good Luck !

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
There's a spot in central Florida where I have hunted frequently that is $300.00 for a weekend hunt and that price includes two hogs.......can't go wrong at that price.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's a spot in central Florida

I'm not sure where exactly Whitworth's place is, but MCO (Orlando) is a big hub and therefore you can usually find good airfare.

For a round trip ticket from Cincinnati to MCO, over a weekend (Depart Friday, return on Monday), I found a lot of them for under $300/person.

So just with that you are looking at $600. Figure another $50 for parking at the airport; $100 for a rental car w/o insurance; $100 for gas; food could be as little as $12 a day depending on your tastes.

So for about $800/person, you could have a fun "hunting trip."

If you start saving now, you could have a fun little trip in the fall or early winter when the weather is barable in Florida.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yup, Orlando would be a good place to fly to and from there you have no more than a two hour drive depending on traffic, and you are there for a great weekend. For an additional $100.00 you can do a buggy and dog hunt that is well worth the money -- you'll need a little tip money too if that is the route you take. Overall, you'll have to spend a little money, but the memories will be well worth it -- IMHO.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marko:

My wife gets back into town tonight, but leaves again this weekend for another seven or eight day business trip.

When she gets back from that trip, WE WILL PLAN ON HOOKING UP! Sorry for all of the dealys - it sucks when life gets in the way of enjoyment.

Thanks for understanding.

Look forward to meeting you!

Paul

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Not a problem, Paul -- I understand! How's Ewan by the way? I look forward as well!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ewan is doing awesome. His eyes continue to look straight, so knock on wood that the doctor will like what he sees when we do the official measurements at the end of March.

577NitroExpress

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
That's great news, Paul! Will keep my fingers crossed! beer

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, my friend. These may only be words on an internet forum, but they touch my heart. Thank you.

beer

577NitroExpress