Find
Notify
Tools

Dogo prices?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
How much does a good Dogo puppy go for here in the states?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a dogo person but I have some friends that hunt with them. From good breeders dogo pups can be over $1,000. I've heard of guys importing pups or young dogs from Argentina for several thousand dollars.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask on http://www.texasboars.com
Click on the link to the forums. There are a bunch of genuine hog-dog experts there.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Cross breed dogos with faster dogs are much better hunters than pure dogos but they aren't as strong as the pure ones to hold the pig for the knife. Generally in a hunting pack there will be a couple of pure dogos and the rest will be cross breed.

A pure dogo down here will cost between 150 and 300 dollars.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the Dogos, and I'm certain they are excellent dogs, but you can buy a pack of good hog dogs in East Texas for the price of a couple of dogo puppies.

Around here they use mostly some kind of hound mix as jump and trail dogs and pits as catch dogs. I've got one friend, who is well known as a good hog dog man, who's catch dog is a pit bitch that weighs maybe 25 pounds soaking wet, but when she clamps down the hog is a caught hog.

OTOH, I have a neighbor, who's corn fields are next to my ranch that last week discovered his fields had been seriously depradated by hogs. So he went home, got his 3 hog dogs and turned them out, hog(s) killed 2 of them on the spot and cut the other one up so bad his survival was in serious question, and left the scene apparrently unscarred. $120 worth of stitching later at the vets the lone survivor looks like he'll make it. Maybe you should buy dogos..... Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just for an example, I note in the current local thrifty nickel:

"Attention Hog Hunters! 100% catch dogs. American bulldog/ridgeback cross puppies. 903-277-0629."

This is posted for information purposes only. I have NO knowledge of these dogs, who owns them or anything else about this ad.

I had a guy who I just barely know come to the house looking for pasture to rent the other day. He has an excellent set of blackmouth curs (that's a breed for those who don't know them) that he uses for cattle but that are often used for hogs as well. He sells his pups for $100 to $150.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Contact Rakin family from Texas they have excellent hunting dogos at a good price .Besides that they hunt with dogos ,yes you can hunt with another cheap dogs but is like hunt with a good rfle or with a HOLLAND AND HOLLAND ,TRY THE DOGOS .JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Contact Rakin family from Texas they have excellent hunting dogos at a good price .Besides that they hunt with dogos ,yes you can hunt with another cheap dogs but is like hunt with a good rfle or with a HOLLAND AND HOLLAND ,TRY THE DOGOS .JUAN

I believe it is the Rankins, this is their website:

http://www.gdrankin.com/RDK/

It appears that they do not sell/breed any more, but I think the Christmans still do:

http://www.huntingdogos.com/

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote