New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint call for hogs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought an electronic varmint calling system and it has a preprogrammed pig distress call. Has anyone ever tried something like this? Does it work?

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since it MIGHT work better than expected and big hogs can be dangerous boogers to be around when riled up.
I'd recommend you not use it alone and get up off the ground out of their reach too.

Once you find out how it works, report back here so the rest of us can learn. Never know, it might be something others might want to buy and use.

Thanks for posting, good luck and have backup guns & ammo handy. Where are you planning on using it?
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5971 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have seen this type question asked before, but don't remember reading any real positive responses as to how effective it was. I have called javelina in with a piglet in distress call, but that seems to only work if you have a group spotted and are reasonably close + or - 100 yards from the group.

On occasion, have had a single animal or maybe 2 animals respond more out of curiosity to a regular varmint call, never had a feral hog respond to any kind of call, except a spin feeder going off. Best of Luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CD with the piglet in distress. Never called in any pigs with it but if you are in a coyote/pig rich environment, coyotes will come in thinking they may get a ham dinner...

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a few years back my late father and I were on a WMA in TX culling hogs. It isn't really a hunt, just shooting what comes to pre-baited areas, mostly.
Regardless, there was a guy roughly 300 yards from my father that was running a "hog call". My father never said much that was off-color, but he told me that evening that he "wished that guy had his hog caller shoved up his butt." I guess Dad got his fill of listening to it all afternoon, but the guy did kill a big boar right at dusk. Whether it was pure happenstance or because of the call I can't tell you.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have called in a boar with a piglet distress call when hunting for coyotes. It was obvious he was responding to the call, but I don't know if he was motivated by curiosity or by hunger. I do know the Texas biologists claim that mature boars account for more piglets killed than all other predators combined. So it makes sense that a piglet distress call would have some effect.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there was a guy here in Zim that liked to shoot wildpigs alot, he told me about one method that worked at calling them in...he would get some piglets from a farm put a few in a sack, hung it off the ground near known pig paths and areas, attached a long string to the sack, and every now and then from his hiding point would pull the string, the noise of the unsettled piglets drew in the pigs..!

Posts: 46 | Location: zim | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience the results are spotty at best. However, I have heard that Javelina's will respond to another Jave in distress.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aoudadhunter
posted Hide Post
Javelina will charge right in your lap with any distress call. The hair on their backs stand up and the clack their jaws real fast. IMO its the only way to hunt them makes for a great archery tactic but they're mean as can be so have a back up plan ie( a .45 works well)

Bar B Diamond Outfitters
Specializing in Free Range Aoudad Sheep hunts.
Also offering all Texas native game and many exotics.

Posts: 131 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend was once using rattling horns and wound up with a face to face encounter with a large boar.