Find
Notify
Tools

Warthog hunt!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted
Here is a dedicated hog hunt with a difference, well to you in North America anyway, taken this past week.
Parts of the Eastern Cape also have a hog problem and they are taking over the landscape, doing a fair amount of damage in the process. This is why I try and go on an annual hunt, specifically for these warthog.
My friend Paul has a good number of them on his ranch and is happy for me to hunt there at no charge. In exchange, he hunts with me and will this year be looking for a couple of black wildebeest bulls and some mountain reedbuck.
Back to the hunt: it is undulating valley bushveld and so hunting is by walking and either bumping into the pigs, or spotting them and stalking. Like all pigs, warthogs have relatively poor eyesight but a very good sense of smell and so this makes very exciting stalking as getting them in sight invariably means being very close.
I shot two decent-sized boars (approx 180 lbs) and a young sow and saw plenty of others.
Rifle was a .270 Rem BDL with Leupold 1.75-6 X scope and 140gr Nos Accubonds at near-max load. The bullets shot straight, but one of the boars took the shot behind the shoulder at about 40yds with no exit despite no major bones encountered. Recovered weight 78grs or 56%.
These pigs do not get as big as your feral or Russians, but are still very tough and a decent bullet is needed for the bigger ones.

Photos to follow, but please someone volunteer to post them for me. I am having big trouble getting them up with antiquated equipment and a slow dial-up.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email them to me Karoo, and I'll put them up for you.
shankspony@xtra.co.nz

Posts: 4605 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
That sounds like fun! I'll look forward to the photos!!

Congrats,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres the Pic's
Those Warthogs sure trump most other pigs for Ivory. Nice one.

Posts: 4605 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect gun for them too! Looks like fun.

Matt

Posts: 318 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed!

I like the terrain. It looks similar to some of the more western/southwestern edges of the Texas Hill Country.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Got to go get me one of those pigs. I don't know could be south Texas on the edge of a field or sendero, too. If you pretend the mountain range in the background is a cold front moving in LOL.

It's weird, 270 kills our feral pigs dead as well. Your a lucky man.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote