Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LIGHTS FOR HOG HUNT
 Login/Join

posted
HAS ANYONE HERE USED THE "DDT-RPG 9 WATT" LITE THAT KEVIN RYER MAKES AT TEXASBOARS ? ARE THEY WORTH THE MONEY ?

Posts: 16 | Location: n.w.missouri | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks pricey to me at $162 not including battery and switch. I use the one pictured below--available from Bass Pro, Cabelas, and most places that sell hunting/fishing stuff for about $100. I use a 12v gel cell rechargeable battery that I carry in an army 2-qt canteen pouch. It attaches to a 1" scope tube with a weaver ring installed upside down--which attaches to the light housing. It's good for about 75 yds with the red lens on it.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the way that hog is looking at me

shocker shocker

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Giving you the eye, isn't he?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
knife

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have to say, that was a helluva shot. How far was he?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Longest shot I have in this hunting spot is 70 yds, but I don't remember which stand I was in, but no longer than 70 yds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb

posted Hide Post
what caliber ? do you have a pic of the other side ?

Posts: 16 | Location: n.w.missouri | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle is a .22-250 shooting Nosler 55-gr ballistic tips at around 3500 fps. I don't have a picture of the other side--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i am thinking you could put a motion sensor with a red light and a rheosat wired between, to bring the light up slowly. to mount on the side of a feeder. then you could just wait till the light comes on.

Posts: 30 | Location: north platte, nebraska | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Red or Green lens is going to be the best bet. The piggies cannot see them, but if you turn on a unfiltered light they will SCATTER!

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These pigs have been hammered so many times by hunters using a red light that they scatter when you attempt to use one on them about 95% of the time. It has happened to me numerous times, regardless of how slowly I brought the light down on them. That's why I put lights at the feeder. They use white, unfiltered light, but because they are always on, the pigs are accustomed to them and walk right in. Sometimes they hang up 30-40 yds away and give it a good looking over, but with one or two exceptions, they've always walked on in. If there is any kind of moon at all, I can see them standing out in the pasture as far as 100 yds away, and if there is more than half a moon, I can shoot them at 75-80 yds by moonlight alone.

Sometimes the rifle doesn't make their eyes pop out--sometimes the brain does:

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Thats smart thinking, those piggies may not be the brightest or best seeing things. But they know when something is up, and putting up white lighting around the feeder is smart. Pigs can be patterned easily. Some of my buddies down in FL have there pigs in a pattern so tight you can walk to the feeder of your choice when you know its going off and the pigs show up. There are about 50 feeders on the lease and they are all timed in perfect harmony, they go off about 10 minutes after the in line before it. The pigs run from feeder to feeder, after a 50 feeder lap, they sleep and do it all over again.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who uses lights on his feeders and once they are used to them (as Brando pointed out, they can be patterned), there is no issue. They are afterall creatures of habit.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I record the times they are at the feeder and plug it in to an Excel spread sheet by blocking the hours in color to give me a visual pattern. Easy to figure out when they are usually there. I say usually because it is "NUG-BNA" Normally, Usually, Generally--But Not Always.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Hampton Bay 1 Watt solar powered light from Home Depot. (Product #256091 ) Comes with a remote
solar panel and batteries. Cost $39.95 Upgraded batteries are available for about $12 Charges during the day and runs 8-10 hours at night. Good for about 1 year. Tape the solar panel to the top of a feeder or feeder leg pointed south and mount the light on a feeder leg shining on the ground under the feeder. This illuminates a 6 foot circle and the hogs get used to it quickly. For under $250 you can set up 6 feeders and have a choice of where to go and even pattern them with trail cameras if you have them. Good luck and shoot straight.

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just bought another pair at Harbor Freight to put on the new feeder today--$20.62 out the door. Just have to rig a mount for them now-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three sets of his lights. They are great!
Call and talk to him about them, he is very helpfull.I like the red with green better than just red. The white demon is amazing. Smiler

Posts: 46 | Location: Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With Quote