THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    Marlin LeverEvolution in 45-70 need bullet/load recommendations

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin LeverEvolution in 45-70 need bullet/load recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
I traded for a new Marlin in 45-70 LeverEvolution at the gun show and would appreciate your help on what bullet/load to use on hogs.
I have tried 300gr Sierra Pro Hunter HP Bullets at 1900 fps they seem to shoot the same from 25 to 100 yards. I am planning on trying a box of the 325 gr Hornady LeverEvolution in the near future.

After reading the forum and some recommending the 45-70 for hogs I figured it had to be enough gun to bring them down. Big Grin

BTW I named my new 45-70 Thumper because it hits the backstop behind the target with a nice thump sound.

Edited by Swede 10/18/07

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Hi Swede!

I think you meant that you traded for a Marlin in 45/70? The LeverEvolution stuff is the ammo.

you should try it out! It hits hard and does great on big boars

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Hi Swede!

I think you meant that you traded for a Marlin in 45/70? The LeverEvolution stuff is the ammo.

you should try it out! It hits hard and does great on big boars

Thank you, the rifle is a Marlin in 45/70 and it also has XLR 1985 LEVEREVOLUTION stamped on the barrel. It was made to shoot Hornady LEVEREVOLUTION ammo, but it will also shoot standard ammo.

I bought it because I may be going hog hunting soon and would appreciate info from all the hog hunters on the forum.

Swede

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
Before you shoot any game with those loads, I'd do some simple penetration tests with them. I especially don't like hollowpoints in a rifle. What is needed is penetration and not over-expansion on big game.

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
475Guy1:
I wasn't to keen on the Sierra Pro Hunter bullets being HP, but that was all they had at Sportsman’s Warehouse.

Who makes a good Jacketed or hard cast bullet that you can recommend?

Swede

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
Geez, there's a plethora of good loads out there. You probably will have to order online. I'd recomment Buffalo Bore, Garret's or Double Tap. You can do google search on them and get the sites. I believe Double Tap would be the less expensive out of the bunch.

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
475Guy makes good recomendations. Double Tap gets $32.00 a box of 20 for their 45/70 ammo. Buffalo Bore has a whole slew of different loads for the 45/70.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found most 300 gr too soft so I went to the 300 Nosler Partition. Other than that Garrett would work fine too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you have better luck than I did, I bought a 100 rounds and have had a number of split cases. They were fired from a number of different rifles, also the accuracy was terrible. No idea how they perform on animals

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Rolland, what ammo was that?

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
I hope you have better luck than I did, I bought a 100 rounds and have had a number of split cases. They were fired from a number of different rifles, also the accuracy was terrible. No idea how they perform on animals

Hi brother have you sat in the East?

I bought 50 Starline and 50 Winchester brass. I have only had time to shoot 16 shots using the Starline brass but I can say no splits yet. Open sights at 100 yards off a hart bench rest I was able to put 3 out of 3 into a 4.25in bullseye so I think it will be plenty accurate. If I can find a Red Dot type of sight that will withstand the recoil I would love to put one on.

I did have 100 IMI brass that I was using in a Model 29 S&W (like Dirty Harry had) and all of the brass split.

Swede

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well should have said, it was the Hornaday Leverevolution ammo I was talking about. When I first read the post I thought you were talking about the ammo not the rifle bewildered Guess I should have read the full post.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:
I traded for a new Marlin LeverEvolution at the gun show and would appreciate your help on what bullet/load to use on hogs.
I have tried 300gr Sierra Pro Hunter HP Bullets at 1900 fps they seem to shoot the same from 25 to 100 yards. I am planning on trying a box of the 325 gr Hornady LeverEvolution in the near future.

After reading the forum and some recommending the 45-70 for hogs I figured it had to be enough gun to bring them down. Big Grin

BTW I named my new 45-70 Thumper because it hits the backstop behind the target with a nice thump sound.

Trademark infringement!!!! I have "Thumper" engraved on the receiver of my Marlin. Now you have gone and pirated my name. Shame on you. Mad
But this rifle of mine is a "Thumper" and has thumped many a critter. My favorite load uses the 300 grain Nosler partition which is more than enough for hogs. I have just received a box of the Hornady LeverEvolution rounds but have not tried them as yet. If they shoot well will use them on my cow elk hunt in December.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:
I traded for a new Marlin LeverEvolution at the gun show and would appreciate your help on what bullet/load to use on hogs.

Trademark infringement!!!! I have "Thumper" engraved on the receiver of my Marlin. Now you have gone and pirated my name. Shame on you. Mad
But this rifle of mine is a "Thumper" and has thumped many a critter. My favorite load uses the 300 grain Nosler partition which is more than enough for hogs. I have just received a box of the Hornady LeverEvolution rounds but have not tried them as yet. If they shoot well will use them on my cow elk hunt in December.

Where did you get Thumper engraved on your rifle? I think it sounds like a good idea! thumb

Swede

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
We have shot over 60 rounds of Leverevolution stuff out of my bosses .45-70 with no problems, I think you will like the stuff and if I had a 4570 and was looking for something a lil more explosive I would use them as well.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
A chap by the name of Ken Warren in Washington state.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote