THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    Dogo or Other - Which catch dog for Bushpig/Feral Hog

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dogo or Other - Which catch dog for Bushpig/Feral Hog
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys
Is there anyone who has used catch dogs on bushpig or hogs? What do you recommend.
The Dogo seems popular, what other dog does the job?
Thanks
HQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Pitbulls do the job very well, as do American Bulldogs.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO there are Pitbulls, and then there are "Pitbulls" finding one that will catch a hog and not want to fight the rest of your dogs might be an issue.

This usually has to do more with the trainer than the dog though.

I've been impressed with Dogo's though.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
IMHO there are Pitbulls, and then there are "Pitbulls" finding one that will catch a hog and not want to fight the rest of your dogs might be an issue.

This usually has to do more with the trainer than the dog though.

I've been impressed with Dogo's though.

Ryan, I think this applies to all dog breeds. Of course one has to choose carefully no matter the breed. I'm sure not every dogo is a champion catch dog by birth. You may have to choose more carefully with the pitbull because there are a whole lot more of them out there to choose from.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. There are just a lot of bottom feeders out there that breed pitbulls for unsavory purposes and it gives the whole lot a bad name.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
Agreed. There are just a lot of bottom feeders out there that breed pitbulls for unsavory purposes and it gives the whole lot a bad name.

Most definitely! Very well put!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
Pitbulls are on the list, we do however seem to have a lot of "Bad dogs" in this country. Now I know a lot has to do with training, but the pitbulls I have seen in this country would not be welcome in my home.

From what I have read the Dogo has an excellent temperament. Is this the case with all Dogos.
I also considered the Boxer, Staffie or Ridgeback x Staffie as a good option.

Has anyone tried these.
The Ridgeback x Staffie is a magnificent dog. They also seem to have an excellent temperament.

All advice or ideas welcome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogos have exelent temperaments, they were bred to be very animal agressive, they are hunting dogs at heart, and will try to get a hold of a lot of smaller animals, cats, chickens, rabits, etc however they are not people agressive at all...

We have one, and have no problem letting her play with our 3 year old niece.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading an article in the " Full Cry Magazine " a few years back.

The article showcased, how well suited the " Airedales " were for " Hog & Bear " Hunting.

I did a websearch & located the below links.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=7231338

http://www.easttexashogdoggers...ex.php?topic=23127.0

http://airedaleny.webspawner.com/

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AHQ,

There are breeds as well as many many cross breeds that can do the job you ask. With that being said, there are also many variables in hunting hogs with dogs that you need to look at as well. Are you looking for straight catch, finder/holders,? What style of catchdog you want? Lead in or running catchdog etc.?

Looking fwd to the outcome.

Aloha,

Dom

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies.
Most likely the dogs will be lead in catch dogs coming into a bayed pig the hounds have tracked. There is too much other game around to take a chance with the catch dogs going after something else.

I will get some photos of my cattle dog x bluetick pups and post them tomorrow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AHQ,

Sounds good! Although with time and patience the dogs can be trash broke. One big consideration with lead in catchdogs is conditioning and stamina. If the hog breaks before the catchdogs reach the bay or they miss the grab and the hog breaks they may be in for a Chase. I have seen lead in catchdogs die from this. Are you going to be using protective vest/collars as well?

Aloha,

Dom

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dom
I think that catch vests will be a must.
These bushpigs cover a hell of a lot of ground so hot days will be difficult for the dogs.

I have a bluetick male which I am going to cross to a Gascon Santongeous bitch. They wil do most of the tracking from the cold scent to the nest. Any experience with these dogs. Some say they are not as tough as a bluetick but are a true nose hound and will not jump ahead.

Any experience you can share will be much
appreciated

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear friend i use dogos and dogos crossed with english pointers ,thats just more blood of pointer in the dogos -pointers are part of the dogos crosses-USE A DOGO they are great dogs with the family ,and i believe there are some breders in SA .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AHQ,

I have heard and read about the breed but as far as I know no personal hands on experience with them.

I personally haven't been impressed at all with the dogo's I've hunted with. To be fair, our terrain here is much different than what others hunt in. Dogo crosses suited us better but no better than what we hunt. Just my personal experience with the breed.

The crosses you mentioned in your post are good crosses. Like any breed you need to do your research and try to find working,hunting stock from the breeds you wish to hunt. I know SA has good greyhound stock as we have dogs from there that we breed. They do very well in our crosses and add speed and stopping power if the hogs break.

Aloha,

Dom