Find
Notify
Tools

childress, tx
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted
Looks like I'm headed to Childress for a 3 day hog hunt. I'm also thinking an afternoon of dove hunting is included. Time to check zero on the 30/06. Should be fun.

I work for an electrical contractor. Hunt is paid for by a lighting rep because of high sales.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
You'll have fun up there...lots of hogs running around the Red River....and inbetween Quanah & Paducah.

I did a guided Red Stag hunt with one of the AR members on here on his personal ranch and he had a skull of a boar he shot on the property...had some of the largest tusks I've seen on a Texas hog.

Good luck and have fun!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything in that area depends on rainfall, as it's typically very dry. Here in Dallas, it's been quite a wet summer (a good thing), and I believe they've had above average rainfall in Childress as well.

One point: when these areas have been dry for the better part of a month and then suddenly get rain, it seems that every mosquito on the plant makes a personal appearance. Bring plenty of bug spray.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Childress is at the north end of the Texas Rolling Plains, where they meet the High Plains at the corner of the Panhandle. The breaks of the Red River, as well as the uplands, offer plenty of hog habitat. If you can find a recently harvested grain sorghum ("maize") field the dove activity can be furious at times. You should have a good time.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Childress is about 80-90 miles west of where I live, I know we are above normal on rainfall by a little not sure about up there but there are lots of hogs in that part of the country.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that it matters, but some really big deer in that area as well. See if you can come back later for deer season.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go get em' Bob!

Hope to see ya' next March!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a great trip.
Just a bit of advice though.
WATCH those speed traps in those little towns!
I think it was Quanah that had a half block of 25mph that dropped from 35. Just as I saw the sign and stomped the brakes the bastard lit me up. I hadn't gotten into it yet quite. Cost $130, or come back from up here 600 miles to court. Big choice and they know it. That was in '04, bet it's a lot higher now.

Guess they got even with me for the hundred or so times I blasted 'em out of bed with the Jake brake those ten yrs of driving thru there.

Have fun,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What George said is very true. My wife got caught in much the same sort of speed trap. Since her family lives in Austin, she decided to go to court and contest the ticket. In the end, the judge just smiled and said, "Since you came all the way down here to waste the court's time instead of paying the ticket, the fine is now $200." That was between Hamilton and Lampasas.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Just found out the name of the ranch. It's the Rustic River Ranch. Looks 1st class to me.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry:
That would sure piss me off!
Just might end up feeding me for 30 days for
spouting off about it.

I used to truck all over texass, sure glad I got out of it years ago before it got so bad.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote