New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Morning Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's a picture of a hog my father shot at about 2:30 am on Christmas Morning. We saw him from about 400 yards away with the night vision monocular and tried to approach him downwind. The wind swirled when we got to within 100 yards of him and we immediately set up to take a shot. He started walking in circle with his nose up in the air before finally walking directly away from us. At 140 yards he hit the hog with a texas heart shot and then finished him off with a shot through the shoulder. Another guy also shot a sow at about 30 yards. Unfortunately, I missed my hog at about 75 yards. Oh well, that's life. I'm going out tonight to attempt to redeem my shooting.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report -- good luck tonight.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you going to get a chance to make it down here to hunt deer? I'm sitting here right now watching a new 150 class 10 point that I've never seen before. New bucks are starting to show up around here looking for does. Every day I'm seeing new deer. I have two bucks making scrapes and tearing up whitebrush about 20 yards from each other trying to impress each other. Hope to see a good fight.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
Are you going to get a chance to make it down here to hunt deer? I'm sitting here right now watching a new 150 class 10 point that I've never seen before. New bucks are starting to show up around here looking for does. Every day I'm seeing new deer. I have two bucks making scrapes and tearing up whitebrush about 20 yards from each other trying to impress each other. Hope to see a good fight.

I'm supposed to be there now but of a family of five three of us are sick, and this was supposed to be a trip with the kids. If I can stop coughing I may still try to get down. Otherwise it will have to wait until closer to New Year's or even January.

Shoot a nice one for me and I will catch up when I can. Guess I shouldn't have passed that wide eight

or those two cull bucks.

At least they are moving well. It does look like it is going to get hot.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sitting here right now watching a new 150 class 10 point that I've never seen before. New bucks are starting to show up around here looking for does. Every day I'm seeing new deer.

Okay, based on your report I just went upstairs and took a shot of Robitussin. We will see...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just broke my rule and shot a hog. There were about 20 of them under my feeder and I just couldn't stand it.

Today was one of those great south texas hunting days where bucks where chasing does most of the day and new bucks were everywhere.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just broke my rule and shot a hog. There were about 20 of them under my feeder and I just couldn't stand it.

Cattle panels around the feeder will fix that, or at least that's what the guys on my lease think.

quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:Today was one of those great south texas hunting days where bucks where chasing does most of the day and new bucks were everywhere.

Now I'm really jealous. Where's that cough medicine? Of course, I'm not sure I have the strength to skin and quarter something if I shoot it!