New
Find
Notify
Tools

Petting Zoo Chronicles........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It’s amazing what a fellow can learn .. Been doing something all my life and found out I was mistaken.

Over the last year I’ve learned that what we do here in Texas is not hunting.

Seems if there are fences, gates, ATV/golfcarts and spin cast feeders it’s something else.

So with that in mind I invited a fellow whose handle is Chas05 to come down for some “Pig Carnage” AKA “fun with guns” at my 1,700 acre playpen (out of 50,000 or so acres) affectionately known as the “petting zoo”.

One thing we do have is pigs!!!!

And fun we did have. And carnage we did wrek. LOL.

A while back Chas05 and I had a PM exchange and got to talking about coming down to Texas and shooting some hoglets.

I asked Chas05 if he had a problem with gates, fences, golf carts, Rib-eye steaks or Jim Beam Whiskey.

I love the opportunity to show folks the Texas I know and love. Chas05 and his son J came in Thursday a week ago, stayed through the Memorial Day weekend and left on Monday. I for one had a ball. Great guys.

We got to the lease late Thursday eve, and had a few brews, ended up staying up way too late listening to tunes and getting acquainted. Slept in Friday morning.
We rode the 4 wheelers over the 1,700 acre pasture that is my lease Friday morning and made plans for the evening hunt.

On the way out Friday evening a bobcat crossed their trail, but they were not able to get off a shot in time before it hit the brush.

Out 10 minutes and already seeing stuff. Made me feel good.

Chas05 set out first in Richard’s Roost. His son wen on to Kyle’s Krib.

Both saw a ton of turkey, but Chas 05 scored first on a hoglet, then on another 15 minutes or so later………….

J saw a ton of turkey early and about a dozen shoats and a momma sow, near dark. However he was loath to close the deal by flinging a bullet at a moving target in the dark.

Turns out Saturday was Chas05’s birthday. I think he said he was 89 yrs old, or something like that.

I figured that one of those comforting brown double-breasted Messican bed-thrashers might get his blood up and his rhumatiz aggravated, so I thought that the next best thing was a 500 pack of 22 Long Rifle cartridges.

and a Rib-eye steak with corn-on-the-cob.

We did eat good

Rain is seldom in abundance in the hill country. However in this instance we didn’t see the sun for the five days they were there. I accused them of bringing the rain from Oregon.

Since we woke up with the rain, and it didn’t look like it was going to let up, we made the 20 mile run into town Saturday to stock up on the necessities.

Chas05 and I set out Saturday evening and enjoyed some nicotine and brewski’s while J hunted.

J took a pig both Saturday and Sunday eve.

So, score was Chas05, two hoglets, J shot two pigs also.

Not to be outdone on my home turf, I took three………….

My first while Pimpin’ an ’06

Next one with the 6 x 47 in Model 7

And last but not least, one from Bill’s Bungelow………..

What’s the old saying. Don’t wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you only get tired and muddy. I was both by time I got this dude loaded on my four wheeler.

From that point on it proceeded to rain for the next 16 hours without a letup.

Chas05 and his son got to do some father/son bonding as they were stuck in a stand together for about 5 hours that night while waiting for the monsoon to pass. Luckily they got back before the low water creeks got impassable.

The rain let up for a bit about 10 AM the next morning and they were able to get out to make their flight back to Oregon.

Final tally, 7 hogs, two coons and two bunnies (targets of opportunity).

No telling what kind of carnage we could have wrecked had it not rained most of the time we were there.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Great!!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Great report, looks l9ke you all had a great time. tu2 beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Great story GW. Always enjoy the stories and photography!

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report from the Pettin' Zoo my friend! Man did it rain!!!!! We where North of ya' in Barksdale and we got 4" in about four hours!

Great work on them piggies!

You might oughta' watch out for Border Patrol if'n ya' keep dressing like that though Wink

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

no habla Ingles,

Solamente Aleman.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun hunt there GWB. If you get tired of that rain, send some our way. Dang it's dry here.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great that you showed 'em a good time.

Noticed .22 shells just like that advertised in the local paper recently for $90 a box. Yikes!!

Back around 1970 I stopped at a wide spot somewhere around DelRio in a decent rain. Before I got back to the truck it started dumping too hard to drive. Just crawled in the sleeper and went to bed. Next morning I was told they'd had 12" of rain over night and I couldn't go anywhere as all the roads were filled with debris. So there I sat for most of a week. Yes folks, it does RAIN in Texas!!
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim,

no habla Ingles,

Solamente Aleman.

Best,

GWB

Enchiladas and Tamales......oh yeah...Cerveza....it's all I got........

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
GWB, Well whatever you call it, looks like hog heaven. Thanks for the story/pics. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If this fella brings rain with him, he can come hunt with me any time. Especially right after I plant sumthin.

Looks like y'all had a grand ol' time. It's just too bad you weren't huntin'! (Still not sure what you were doing, but it looked fun)

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
If this fella brings rain with him, he can come hunt with me any time. Especially right after I plant sumthin.

Looks like y'all had a grand ol' time. It's just too bad you weren't huntin'! (Still not sure what you were doing, but it looked fun)

In my part of Tejas---we just call it recreatin

beer

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous, me. Those piggies look like the right size for BBQ ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm ready to go back now, as the symptoms of SDD (shooting deficit disorder)are evidencing themselves, but will have to wait a couple more weeks. Se la vie'

Best,

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pics and stories. I'd love to hunt you're petting zoo. Yours looks more sophisticated than my own.

Not to be picky as my spelling is bad in any language, but that should be C'est la vie, where I'm from anyway.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Seymour hog reporting for duty patriot

blast-off or boys behaving badly

LM,
of course you're right.

I used to be a cunning linguist, now..........

As I tell my kids,
I knew that once, just forgot.
One of the perils of getting old and careless.

Best,

GWB

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Texas meat tenderizer? rotflmo

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes-sir,

when and if I grow up, my goal is to be a professional small boy.

Best,

GWB

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
If Capstick was still around, he'd probably say you're already there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
10/4

Thanks,

that's high praise in my book.

Best,

GWB

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Pig Cannon. Brilliant, just brilliant. tu2

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Nothing at all wrong with being a Professional Small Boy, I have been working at it hard for most of my 64 years.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote