New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Run
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went out Tuesday morning to the same peanut fields where we had caught the last four and found that the pigs had already come and gone, so we went to another place and the curs jumped a couple of boars bedded down in some thick weeds and grass in the corner of two peanut fields.By this time it was daylight and the pigs would bay and break. Finally,after the last bay we saw the boar running toward a harversted milo field so we caught the gogs and headed toward the field. We let the dogs out on the down wind side of the field and roaded them through the field hoping they would wind the pig or cross the track which did not happen so we headed to the other side of the field and found where he had exited the field toward some country where we don;t have permission so we caught dogs and went back to where we had jumped the pig hoping to find another track and luckily we did. We put the dogs on the track and the race was on. He had a pretty good head start on the dogs and we couldn't go in a straight line like the dogs. After about two miles the farmer called me on the phone and told me that his father-in-law had just called him and said there was a big boar running along the fence at the highway. I told him that we were on his trail and hopefully we would catch him. It has ben raining for several days so we had to be careful how we drove. When we got to the other side where the boar had been seen we could see his track along side of the fence. By then the dogs were sowing up so we loaded them so they would not cross the highway in case the boar decided to cross. We headed up the fence following the track until we crossed a waterway and lost the track. We continued on to an entrance road to see if the boar had crossed the road and sure enough we found where he had crossed. We didn't put dogs out because he was headed toward another peice of property we didn,t have permission to go. We followed the track into a corner that was grown up in desert willows along the fence line. I crossed the fence on foot and could not see where he had exited the willows so I went up to the HQ and got permission to to continue the chase if the pig broke out of the willows. Lucky there was a gate between the two properties and we crossed into the other farm and went down to where the the pig went into the brush.I let the curs out and walked them to where the pig entered the brush. By this time it was 11: 30 am and getting hot but I was determined to catch this pig. Also a crowd of on lookers had arrived to see what happened.It didn't take long until the dogs were bayed and we released the stags and mason and we had a caught hog. The young man in the picture stuck him and the chase was over 4 miles after we found the track. I now have permission to enter the adjoining property.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice hog and a good story. This heat is tough on dogs, yours must be pretty good to have hung in there.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Duckman,

Cool story! I have a dove lease surrounding Pearsal and I specifically asked about pigs and the guy said they don't have any pigs in their peanuts. Personnaly I found this hard to believe that there aren't pigs and now I have proof!! How bad is the pig problem in them nut fields?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, the peanuts are just now getting mature enough to attract pigs. If he doesn't have any pigs he must have a new net wire fence around the field! Roll Eyes

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice hog and a good story. This heat is tough on dogs, yours must be pretty good to have hung in there.

They only traveled about 2 miles on their own. I picked them up in the suzuki and gave them a drink and carried them the rest of the way. I thought this might be a big hog by the size of his track and I didn't want to catch him with a bunch of wore out dogs.If I would have lost the track then I would have put one dog out to follow the pig.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duckman,
Good job. I've hunted in tha neck of the woods, been years though.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats to all! That area is covered up with hogs!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ah, a successful conclusion. How sweet it is

Posts: 8 | Location: Soaring above the clouds | Registered: 27 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Great job and well told (even though this city boy lost you on a couple of your expressions--I think Wink ).

That look on the face of the hunter makes the picture. That is one serious hog killing sonofagun's look in the eyes. I love it!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote