New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 for Hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody shoot a hog with a 22-250? I've got a Tikka T3 in this caliber and it is probably the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. Worked up some loads-36.5 Varget with 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tips-and at 100 yards, cloverleafs. I deer hunted with it last year and shot two bucks, both ran about 40 yards and dropped within sight of the stand. Both were broadside shots, one complete pass-thru, at 110 yards and 100 yards. Pigs at my place are 150lb and smaller, and usually within 100 yards. Might try head shot.....Give me your feedback....

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, right below the ear. It'll blow their mind.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woli, agree with your comment, I shot pigs with my 22/250 as it was the rifle on hand. The 308win is the standard pig calibre in my neck of the woods.

cheers 338w

Posts: 57 | Location: vic, Aust | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments so far. I do have a new 25 WSSM, and the old standby .270 and 30/30. Its just this particular gun is so dang accurate. At deer lease yesterday, set up 3" Hit N See targets at 100 yards and had less than 1/2" groups. I know what your saying, "Not hunting conditions" but almost all the hunts I go on have some sort of steady rest, be it my tower blind, shooting sticks or my ATV seat.....

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Less than perfect....I feel from say 6.5x55 on up with the right bullets with 30/06, 9.3x62 and 45/70 being as good a pig chamberings as one can get.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I am glad you have a larger caliber to choose from, but the 22-250 will work.

There is also no comparison using BT's vs. Partitions, TBBC, or TSX. I would never use BTs in any caliber on a hog.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use a 22-250 if I had anything throwing a bigger slug available.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I would never use BTs in any caliber on a hog.

wisest thing ever said on AR

jeffe

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote