New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grandson's boar
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I gave my 12 year-old grandson and his older brother both Sako .30-06's last Christmas. The 12 year-old is now big enough this season to handle his. Last weekend on the Texas Rolling Plains he shot two hogs, and the one pictured below was huge -- at least 250 lbs but probably more. One shot with a Nosler 150 grain Accubond at 3,000 fps did it. The 12 year-old has now shot four rounds at game from his rifle and taken four head of game. Pretty good average, eh?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Batting a thousand eh? I'd say that's a fantastic average. Great hog there too!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats all the way around! And yes, that hog is huge and has some serious mass and girth -- probably in the 255-260 range.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your Grandson and yourself. tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Great shooting by your grandson and I'm betting that Grandpa is mighty proud as well. Sako's for Christmas - I'm available for adoption. Smiler

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super! My Grand Daughter shot her first pig this year son I know how proud you are!

Posts: 752 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to an old friend. Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
A job well done, by both grandfather and grandson! That Sako '06 will handle better than 90% of hunting situations: the lad is pretty well set for life!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 613 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote