Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting pigs in Hawaii
 Login/Join

posted
My family and I are plannig a trip to Hawaii
this spring and would like to get some info
on pig hunting. We are from Canada. My wife want's to see volcanos. My boys [ 8 & 10 ] and I would love to hunt.

Any info would be great.
abhiller@shaw.ca
Bravo Hotel

Posts: 3 | Location: B.C. canada | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact Ultra Mag.
She and her boyfriend hunt pigs in the Islands.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No 2- Thanks for the mention.

Bravo Hotel if your wife would like to see Volcanoes then the Big Island which is the nickname of Hawaii Island would no doubt be the place to go. You and your family would be able to see the lava flowing into the sea and get in some good hunting as well.

How long will you be staying??? I will try to call a friend on Big Island to see if he would be willing to help you out.

You can email me if you have any questions at:

rjames@atlantisadventures.com

Aloha!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bravo Hotel,

The Big Island can offer you what they family wants. You may wish to contact the following:
Pat Fisher, hunting manager
Parker Ranch Hunt Club
808-885-2313
parkerranch.com

Also, Eugene Ramos
Hawaii Hunting Tours
808-776-1666
Gene Ramos has the hunting lease for Bishop Estate lands (former Queen Bernice Bishop) No dogs used for pigs, just drive around on the mountain. You can shoot feral sheep also. Unfortunately, the goats have been eradicated. He's been guiding for over 30 years and can't hoof it anymore due to injuries. Easy hunt and great sight seeing.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of "JB"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aloha!!!

Mahalo for the information!!

I and my family leave Montana on Mar 19th and will be on Oahu after our stop over in Sacto Ca, on Mar 20. We will be there for the first 5 days staying at Outrigger Reef clap

Then we will be headed over to Kona, HI staying at a condo off of Alii Blvd with the first night eating at http://www.huggos.com Our host has two homes over on the Big Island. One is up in the area of Honokaa, HI and then another on South Point, HI.

The last time I was there, I was a water dog snorkeling at Snorkel Beach. These are not my photo's but shows you what your missing http://www.northrup.org/photos/Hawaii/Snorkling/ its a whole new world under water guys and gals.

Hunting hogs would be a trip topper for me... 23 days in all is the BEST relaxation.

Aloha!!

"JB"

Posts: 31 | Location: NW Montana in grizzly country | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha JB- When do you leave Oahu? If you are still on Oahu on Saturday you could tag along with us if youd like I think that Sat. is the 25 so not sure if youre leaving that day or on Fri. Let me know!

Aloha!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Big Island is one of the best things going and if you can swing a little hunting - which is a chore, but it can be done - it gets even better. Search under my handle for posts on hunting on the Big Island. You MUST get a few things squared away RIGHT NOW if you want to hunt, and gun laws are probably very different from what you're used to. For starters, any violation of a firearm or game law is a felony, you can only carry one legal firearm while hunting (no backups) and there is no concealed carry under any circumstances. PM me if you have questions.

If you eat at Huggo's, get a seat near the water and go right at nightfall. You can toss food over the edge and the eels will come up and get it. Hell of a show - the waitresses can help you out.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told of someone hunting deer [fallow ?] and goats in Hawaii but I don't know where.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mete,
There is axis deer hunting on the islands of Molokai and Lanai, and limited blacktail on Kauai. No fallow deer available. Goats are on every island on both public and private land, except Niihau and Kahoolawe.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've seen several shows on the Outdoor channels where they were hunting hogs, feral goats, and feral rams. Looked like it would be great fun.

A few years ago we were on Kauai and I saw an advertizement for a one day heliocopter ride to (I believe) Niihau for hogs and feral rams. Don't know if that's still available.

I also believe that in order to hunt anything in Hawaii, you have to show proof of a Hunter Safety certificate.

Have a great time!

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My g/f has friends on the big island, and wants to visit. It would be great to get in on a hog hunt while there. Is there an option between bow hunting, or is it all firearm?

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buffybr and cndrm,

Yes, there is still much hunting on Niihau. These are usually one day hunts. You leave in the morning from Kauai by helicopter and return in the evening in time for dinner at your Kauai hotel. Firearms are available for rent from Niihau Safaris so you don't have to lug a firearm with you.

Bow hunting is available on the Big Island. There are dedicated archery areas for public hunting. Feral sheep, hogs, and goats are available in these areas.

Geoff

Shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks Geoff. Not sure with I would go with, but I think I might lean twards bow.

Off hand, do you know what the appx. price might be for a 1 or 2 day bow hunt?

Thanks again.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Mike,
The fee is $1,650 per day per hunter. The majority of the fee is for the helicopter charter from Port Allen, Kauai to Niihau and back. If you go two days, you may be allowed to camp out overnight. Not guaranteed, though, and the cost may be reduced since no helo flight. You are allowed one pig and one feral sheep. No trophy fees.

Niihau has an excellent bowhunting environment for hogs. If you decide to book, inquire and they may allow you to take as many pigs as you have arrows due to population explosion. I would imagine that bowhunting for pigs will be at the many waterholes.

The island also has what is believed to be the largest free ranging herd of eland in the country. There are well over 300 on the 72 sq. mi. island. However, you will need a rifle if eland is desired. Trophy fee are applicable for the eland. There is also oryx(gemsbok)and auodad but are not being harvested due to modest herd sizes.

Geoff

Shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geoff, Thanks again for the info. As many hogs as I have arrows huh? (wow, that's tempting) Big Grin I've got a lot of arrows. (obviously nothing guranteed).

Thanks again,

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Mike,
Nothing is guaranteed. However, the pig population is so high that I run animal control cull hunts for the owners. It is normal for us to eliminate 200-300 pigs in a 2.5 day period. We use feral sheep for baiting the porkers.

A bowhunter friend brought only seven arrows to try his skill. We gave him an hour while we took a nap in the vehicle near a waterhole. He had expended all seven arrows in less than 30 minutes. He got 5. He was desperately trying to recycle his arrows. That did'nt work as he was using aluminum shafted arrows and they were all bent.

The Niihau Helicopter office will book you on a one or two day trophy hunt. Give them a call @808-335-3500.

Geoff

Shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have done the animal controll hunt with my friend Geoff a couple of times. All I can say is if you do this take lots of arrows! If you cant kill pigs on the island you cant kill pigs anywhere. IT really helps to kill a couple sheep first for bait but if you just sit at the water holes you will have ample opportunity. This place is really unique.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I must say that the price would be much more justified if I could take as many pigs as I have arrows. (significant dent in population) But my biggest problem is getting all the meat back home with me. Lots of pigs = lots of meat = lots of weight. If only there was an easy and economical way of getting the spoils of my hunt back home.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Mike,
I fully understand your concerns to recover the meat.
Firstly, one sheep and one pig is not a problem. On a cull shoot, there is no feasible or economical way to recover the flesh. You are either shooting or cleaning carcasses. If you dress everything you shoot, you will not shoot very much.

The pigs are primarily carnivores and feed frequently on carion. The flesh is poor during the summer when dry as they are almost exclusively flesh eaters. Nothing goes to waste. The sheep carcasses disappear within hours. The pigs will eat the pig carcasses within a day or two.

Secondly, there is no large refrigeration facilities on the island. You go in with a helicopter and leave the same way. Assuming that you are hunting alone, the eight place Ausgusta 109 has a net cargo capacity of 800 lbs after you and pilot. There will be no one on the Kauai side to receive and process the meat, other than the hotel that you may stay at, if they accept the meat.

Thirdly, assuming that you are successful in getting all of the meat packed and chilled, think about the excess baggage charges with the interisland and overseas airlnes, not considering purchasing sealed coolers, etc.

Mike Smith has just contributed to this thread. Drop him a PM and inquire about having a good time vs. having lots of not so good eating.

Regards,
Geoff

Shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geoff, Thanks for the reply. I honestly hadn't given much thought to the possibility that the meat might not be that good. It makes sense why. So the hunt for fun, or hunt for food, becomes the real question.

Thanks again.

mike

one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
Something to consider if on a budget is public land hunting Unit C Laupahoehoe and Piha Game Management areas being the very best in my experiance. Reservations via phone made on Wednesday prior to weekend hunt. Access is from top side of reserve via Saddle Road and Mana Road, will need to rent a 4x4 and about an hour of offroad driving to reserve but pigs are thick, well fed on Banana Poka fruit so great eating too.
http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dofaw/hunting/MammalHuntingRegs_Chap123.pdf
Check page 41 thru 55 with pertinent map on page 47. I beleive firearms need to be registered at local PD on arrival, and your state hunter safety certificate needed to purchase a hunting license which I beleive runs $99 for non-residents. Look over the PDF files and if you have any questions let me know.

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask. Thanks again.

mike