New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico fighting feral pigs??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Seems as though New Mexico is going to curb the problem before it gets out of control. Well New Mexico, by the time that you realize there is a problem with feral pigs, it is already out of control.

Sharing Services0$1M pilot project aims to take out feral pigs
Posted: Mar 18, 2013 4:53 PM CDT
Updated: Mar 18, 2013 4:53 PM CDT
By SUSAN MONTOYA BRYAN
Associated Press
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Feral pigs have learned to outsmart hunters as they root up crops, harass wildlife and turn water holes into pigsties.

The invasive porkers have made themselves at home across more than three-fourths of the nation. Officials say they're responsible for an estimated $1.5 billion in damages each year.

Most worrisome is their ability to learn from each encounter with a frustrated human.

Feral pigs are expanding their numbers in many states, but officials think they have a chance to tip the balance in New Mexico.

They're willing to bet $1 million in federal funds on a yearlong pilot project aimed at eradicating the pigs.

It marks the first time the U.S. Department of Agriculture has teamed with a state to develop a comprehensive plan for getting rid of the pigs.

The complete story is at this link: http://www.abqjournal.com/main...-out-feral-pigs.html

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[They're willing to bet $1 million in federal funds on a yearlong pilot project aimed at eradicating the pigs.

It marks the first time the U.S. Department of Agriculture has teamed with a state to develop a comprehensive plan for getting rid of the pigs.]

Yet more US Governmemt money spent irresponsibly! animal

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
There are places with wild hogs and there are places that will have wild hogs....... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are places with wild hogs and there are places that will have wild hogs.......

Isn't that the truth. I heard several years ago about some pigs up in the Lubbock area and then near Amarillo. I thought that would not happen due to the lack of water up there.

Was I wrong. Now, New Mexico. That country east of I-25 from El Paso up to Raton is pretty much all ranch land with not many natural tanks for water. Lots of wind mills with water troughs.

With the pigs now out there in Antelope country, in a few years of competeing with the Antelopes for forage, we will be calling them "Speed Pigs".

quote:
Yet more US Governmemt money spent irresponsibly!

Wasn't the Gov there at one time an allie of the present regime? That could explain more federal money thrown away.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have relatives in northern Minnesota that said no way no how. I received pictures a few years ago of rooting. They were dumbfounded as to what had caused such destruction. I told them kill every pig they see. They found them with infrared trail cams at night.

Pig populations are kinda like the weather in Texas-if you don't like it/have a problem, just wait a day or so and it will change!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote