New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Blaser R-93 300 Win Mag and a Wild Pig
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was hunting on a deer lease this week that gave the opportunity for a long shot so I took my Blaser R-93 with the 300 Win Mag Magna-port bbl and the Leupold 3.5x10 long range scope with the M-3 ballistic cam. I was using Remington factory loads with the 180 Nosler Ballistic Tips.
I shot a wild pig at about 50 yards facing me at a slight angle, hitting him on the point of the right shoulder. At the shot he humped up, jumped and gave the squeal usually associated with a hit pig. He turned to his left and ran, putting him behind some brush for about 10 to 15 yards. As he came back into view he turned to his left and was running almost straight away when I fired the second shot.
He ran out of sight. I reloaded and began the followup. The ground was muddy and his tracks were easy to follow [there was no blood trail]. He had ran a total of about 50 yards. He was dead when I got to him. The first shot had traveled just past the mid point of the pig and was against the skin on the underside of the pig. The recovered bullet weighs 102.1 grains and expanded to .685 cal. The second bullet hit the rear right ham and exited the right front of the rib cage breaking three ribs [ due to the turning of the pig]. He weighed about 185 lbs. I felt this was good performance for a Ballistic Tip considering the closeness of the shot.
[Let the record reflect that I think the Nosler Partition is the best all-round bullet for the 300 Mag, and I had 200 grain Swift A Frames with me, but was using the Ballistic Tips for their long range abilities, and they shoot well in this bbl].
I fired these 2 shots without ear protection and as i have previously stated I do not find this Magna Ported bbl to hurt my ears any more than a regular bbl.
I was shooting sitting and was able to keep the pig in the scope the whole time.
The more I shoot it the more I like it.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
im looking at getting a R 93 this spring, why did you choose the 300 win mag over 300 wby mag?? just curious

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About the same situation,

I shot a wild pig at about 130 yards facing me at a slight angle, hitting him on the point of the left shoulder, broke his spine, pig dropped and died on the spot. Cal .375 H&H Federal 260 grain accubond, works like a charm.

Roland