New
Find
Notify
Tools

planning a first time hog hunt: recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My brother, my 9 yr. old son and I want to go hunting for hogs.

We have never been hog hunting and never hunted in TX.
we are going to go over Thanksgiving holiday, I am a Elementary teacher and this will be the only time I can go.

We don't need anything fancy just a good time.

We are all excited about the opportunity and would like to confirm our plans soon.

Thank you for your help.

if there is a chance for exotics that would be fun but not necessary.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So no one has had a good hog hunt in TX that they would recommend.

I will look to OK perhaps lord knows OK will win the Red River Game. So maybe that should be a sign.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have access to some good hog hunting property, and my boss does offer hog hunting. The one problem from my standpoint is the timing of the hunt. That is right at or during one of the bigger deer hunting weekends in the state.

I don't know what you are looking for but am willing to put together a package, but a lot of it depends on our rain situation out here and whether or not we have deer hunters booked for that time frame.

Was not intentionally ignoring you, but was simply not sure what kind of hunt your group wants. I know there are other guides out there that might be willing or able to put together a better hunt than I can offer.

If you are interested, I can/will put together a package that might fit into what you are looking for. I apologize for not making more of an effort in contacting you concerning your interest in putting a pig hunt together.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:
we are going to go over Thanksgiving holiday, I am a Elementary teacher and this will be the only time I can go.

I agree with Crazy Horse. The problem is your hunt coincides with a major weekend of the general deer season.

Posts: 488 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight. I understand.

And by the way I was joking regarding the tx ou game. just trying to get a response.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thing is, a lot of publicity has been going around about hogs in Texas, and while there are quite a few, they are primarily on Private Land.

Last hog hunt I did was in July with a fellow AR member, and the only way we got hogs on that trip was by me baiting and setting a trap.

Between the weather, the folks trapping hogs and selling them and folks simply shooting them on sight, the hunting can be difficult. Throw in deer season going on during the time frame you mentioned, and finding a hunt will be iffy.

A better time for a hunt, depending on how it would work for you, might be during Spring Break. If you keep checking though you might find someone that could fix you up, Best of Luck if you do get a chance.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I booked a hunt I will definitely write a report when the hunt is done. I get to go hunt with my son and brother so I am already successful. I have never been hunting in tx so that is also a check off the bucket list. this is our first time so we will learn from this experience. if my son and brother get a chance at a hog that is all I want.

thanks again for your input

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you did good, look forward to a report on your hunt, Best of Luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be aware that due to diseases carried by wild swine, trichinosis, etc. Texas has transport restrictions on feral hogs. You can't just shoot'em and take 'em home.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found out this morning that the restrictions only apply to live transport, dead ones don't count. I contacted numerous agencies and got different answers, but final answer is no restrictions on transporting dead hogs.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Processed, skinned and quartered feral hogs in an ice chest can be transported. The law does deal with the movement of live feral hogs/piglets.

It is always a good idea to check however.