Find
Notify
Tools

No hogs sighted in Texas??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I didn't think it was possible, from past years, but I spent seven days hunting hogs in Texas, and didn't see one. Frowner

I saw plenty of fresh sign, rooting etc. but no hogs. The first days were messed up because of the sleet and snow, and the last two days were almost constant rain, day and night. In between the weather was good, but maybe colder than last year.

I still find it amazing that no hogs were sighted, by me or other hunters in the party. We had corn out, and some of the feeders were still working.

I'm thinking of Hawaii next year.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where were you hunting?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a trail camera in the same hog "hot spot" in the Texas hill country for 3 years. I almost never get hogs in the daylight this time of year. In the summer, I get them almost daily.

It seems to me that they spend about 10-12 hours a day feeding and when the nights are long they don't have a reason to come out in the daytime.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kablowey The hogs heard about your big magnum that you don't even have to hit em--just get close. Should have used a .223.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I was in East Texas, near Henderson and Kilgore. I can't remember the name of another nearby small town.

As I recall the moon was near full. I sure was dissappointed that I didn't get to shoot with my big bore. Never mind the silly 223.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you know why the population is expanding!

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/...exas.html?c=y&page=1

Here's an interesting article on Texas pigs.And it says pigs are smart !! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I must have shot the dumb ones last year. Wink I got seven, hunting same places, same stands, and about the same time of year.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Near full moon, you should have stayed out later!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AR-Patriot
posted Hide Post
Here in the hillcountry of Central South Texas(Leander)we had the biggest Acorn crop that I can ever remember(I'm 51).Had deer walking out past my feeder and not even glancing at it.Just started get hog sign at the feed 2 wks.ago.Guess hogs like acorns as much as deer do!

"The tree of Liberty,from time to time,must be replenshed by the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 50 | Location: Proctor,Texas | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
My buddy in Texas said the same thing about the acorns, so I just believed him. I did see places where game - deer or hogs - had been feeding apparantly on acorns, and the inside was still yellow/orange, judging from the jiblets left. We used up about 7 bags of corn, trying to lure them out in daylight. We saw plenty of crows, squirrels, deer, coons, etc., but no hogs. I tried to get him to drag out the spotlight, but he said it was too cold. What he didn't want to say was that he didn't want to stay sober that late, and figured it wasn't a good idea to go out that way. He sure enjoyed himself playing cards, etc. with the guys, so I didn't want to interfer with that.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.Just started get hog sign at the feed 2 wks.ago.

That's the case at our lease. Apparently, they've finally eaten all the acorns. The crop this year was huge.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote