Notify
Tools

.357 too small?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 357 mag won't. It is simple.

Hogwash... it is simple. You have never done it, so it cannot be done. Yeah, right.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
My hunting experience does not include shooting anything with a 357 mag.

The weight of one's opinion is directly proportional to one's experience. You admit to not having used a .357 on game. Loaded correctly (and this caveat applies to all calibers), the .357 works fine as long as you do your part.

Is it my first choice? Nope. Would I hesitate to use one in a pinch? Nope. Handgun caliber paper ballistics are unimpressive, however, loaded properly they kill all out of proportion to their paper ballistics.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Miles Massey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Miles, I like using big rifles for hunting. Such things as 450-400s and the like will penetrate through anything from any angle and reach the vitals. A 357 mag won't. It is simple. My hunting experience does not include shooting anything with a 357 mag. Sorry you didn't understand what I was saying. To clarify, I said a 357 was way too small "for me". If you like using the small weak calibers to hunt with, fine. I don't.
The only things "simple" and "weak" in this discussion appear to be your actual experience which you've just stated.

As before, if you can't run with the big dogs and piss in the tall grass, stay on the porch with the pups. It's obviously where you belong.

Posts: 209 | Location: Up in yo' gree-ill... | Registered: 06 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Wow, we have a new contender for the horse issue club. Does not rank up there with one using .223's for hunting deer but it seems off to a good start. shocker shocker 2020

If a person wants to use a .25 ACP who cares? If a person doesn't feel that a .454 Casull is adequate, who cares. It is all personal choice. Whether it is based on actual experience, comments made by others regardless of medium or experience, it is all just opinion.

The things that keep cropping up in the responses are always the same regardless of the caliber being discussed.

1. Working with in the limitations of the shooters ability and experience with the firearm/caliber.

2. Working with in the basic limitations of the equipment being used.

And Last but by No Means least.

3. Being able to accurately place the shot into the area of the target that will produce the desired results.

All of these horse issues contain those same three concepts and that never changes.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Exactly; I do not care what calibers people use for hunting. You don't have to convince me of the merits of 357s or anything else. I am only speaking for ME. Please read my post; FOR ME, it is too small and weak for hunting. What about that do you not understand? I do not want to use a 357. I like big caliber rifles; they are fun to shoot and kill stuff very dead. Here is what I used on my last few hogs; 450 Nitro, 450-400, .500 Linebaugh (this is a Ruger revolver) .375 H&H, 45-70; get the point?. Nothing you say will make me. Of course you can kill things with small. weak calibers. I just don't choose to. As for penetration; I doubt if a 357 will punch through a big hog from ass to sternum. Even it it will, I do not want to use one (and I own 2 of them) The calibers I use, will.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
ME is a piss-poor indicator of lethality. Anyone who hunts with a handgun should know this very well. JMHO.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Could be wrong Whitworth, but I do not think the reference about ME had anything at all to do with Muzzle Energy, but personal choice.

I have seen and butchered plenty of deer killed with .223's but, for ME I prefer something a little bigger.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote