New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Weekend's Hog Hunt
 Login/Join

Picture of Whitworth
posted
Went to my buddy's ranch here in Florida to hunt hogs over the weekend. It's finally cooling off a bit so the weather was perfect. Saturday morning I had no luck, but Saturday evening I bagged a 150 pounder (it was the biggest hog that turned up), so I shot it with my CZ 550 in .458 Lott. It was the first game I've taken with this rifle in preparation for a Cape Buffalo hunt hopefully next summer. Shot it behind the right shoulder as it was quartering away from me at about 30 yards (I was in a tree stand). It flopped over, twitched and that was all she wrote. No muss, no fuss. The 500 grain Hawk Deadsoft punched a 2-inch entry hole in the rib cage, cut off the top of the heart, took out both lungs and busted the left shoulder on the way out. Wow! Excellent terminal performance. Really nice hog. Had him skinned and hung in the freezer a couple hour later. Threw some steaks on the barbeque, ate my fill, smoked a cigar, and slept like a baby......Isn't hog hunting great?

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good one. I'm supposed to be going next month here in Commifornia, also on a buddy's ranch. I've got a brand new 375 H&H that I want to flatten a porker with.

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Fjold -- how does that H&H shoot? What will you be using for loads? I'm really sold on these Hawk Deadsoft bullets. They really seem to transfer energy. Where are you going hunting in the People's Republic of California? Have a great hunt!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just picked it up 2 days ago, so it hasn't even been shot yet. I've adjusted the trigger and cleaned out some of the spilled hot glue in the action but I won't be able to get out to shoot it until Friday. I'll be hunting east of Fresno in the foothills.

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Range on Friday and when will you be going on the hunt, Fjold? Have you settled on any loads that you will trying out? The .375 is good hog medicine!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have some Hornady 270 grain spirepoints that I was going to use to break in the barrel with and I'll be testing out some loads with IMR4064. I'm not scheduled to go hunting until the 11th of December, so I should be able to work up some loads by then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice story whitworth !! The hawks sound like our Taipans, fjold the .375 H&H is my all round pick for a hog gun, you have the best of the 45/70 and 30/06 all in one package !! I have shot some big hogs with the 300 gr Hornady RN .375 and it has gioven good results on pigs.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Fjold -- keep us posted of your progress and good luck.

PC -- the Hawk Deadsoft is really thin jacketed -- wouldn't use them on cape buffalo (not that I've ever hunted buff -- but they're not a tough enough bullet), but they work like a charm on hogs. The entry wound was huge -- I can e-mail you a picture if you would like....