Find
Notify
Tools

A Pig or Two
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
We dont usually hunt pigs , they tend to be targets of opportunity whilst hunting other game , but this weekend we had the opportunity to do some pig-specific hunting.

Four of us - and no pig dogs - were on a steep property in our back country when we spied a mob of about 15 assorted piggies working their way down a fenced ridgeline. They were about 800 metres away as the crow flies or much further once we walked down the very slippery farm track and stalked in around the sode of the hill.

Lost track of them , then spotted then through the fence in a tight gut making tracks to escape . I was hoping my boy Matthew would be able to get a shot but unfortunately the pigs werent staying still long enough for that to happen so I lay down and lined up the biggest black one in the group and shot it as they all ran along a cattle track. Lost sight of the main group as they headed up hill through the patchy scrub , but then saw then bunched in the vee of the fence at the top of the ridge.

The group turned and ran along the ridgeline , hemmed in by the fence , but they stopped and bunched up again , long enough for me to sight up on another big black one , who fell and rolled down the steep hill to halt on a small flat spot.

He was obviously down for the count , and the first one had collapsed in a heap closer but still above me . Needed a finisher shot to stop him wriggling about , and then we had the task of carrying the critturs down the steep hill , over the fence and then along the track to were we could access with the quad bike.

Clive valiantly carried the higher of the two - a young boar with no tusks at all, and I manhandled the other sow whilst young Matthew did pack duty with packs and rifles.

Next morning , in the rain , we returned to the same area as the farm owner had asked us to help him with some gate opening for cattle shifting. Young Matthew spotted a couple of small pigs way down in the valley at the point we had managed to get the quad to yesterday.

So - off we went again. The overnight rain had made the steep track too slippery to contemplate using the quad , so it was walking in - walking out material. After a fairly uneventful stalk down the track the little piggies were still digging up the farmers turf , so we climbed up higher in a small gully , then came round above the pigs . There was five handbag sized pigs in the group , and young Matt was able to make use of a small tree as a rest for his first shot which connected the chest of a ginger piggy , then there was pigs running everywhere .

I connected with a black one that stopped in his tracks , then a running black one , and Matthew managed a very cool running shot on another gingery pig that ended his escape. Not bad for an offhand shot with a single shot rifle that he had to reload and resight on target , when he is barely big enough to hold the gun up for an offhand shot to begin with .

So , four wee piggies in a few fast and furious seconds. Then it was time to head and gut them , tie their feet into handbag handles and do the fun climb back up the steep and slippery hillside. Fortunately we had two good mates and a labrador to assist , but it was still a hard climb.

So - a great day , especially for Matthew as these were his first pigs.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine.

Bet the boy was pretty excited.

the pooch looks like he's been there, done that.

Some interesting looking country in the background of your last photo.

Enjoyed the report. tu2

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats to all! Fresh pork in the freezer!

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the story and photos! And congrats to you both on the hunt! tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great way to break the young boy into hog hunting. Shows he's up to the task already.
In that loaded picture it looks like he's about to bust wide open with big grin.
Good shootin Matthew!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote