New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happiness is a bloody blade
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The walks across the highway continue. A great exercise program. I've lost 10 lbs in the last three weeks. Got into the woods and made a sweep. Came upon some type of cane, that the hogs in this area often hang up in. This cane is smaller in diameter and length than the Roseau cane we made our duck blinds from in S. Louisiana, but it provides cover in the oak flats that are otherwise fairly open. Blanche my pup stuck her nose in the cane and sort of backed out then jumped back in, I knew she had found something. My first thought was rattlesnake. But Babette and Blanca came sailing in and I knew it was no snake. I ran to the back of the cane which intersected a small creek thinking that they might flush something out. Nothing came out, I could hear the sounds of combat coming from the cane but still couldn't see anything. Then I heard a hog grunting and I knew it was my cue to get in there myself. I first observed that it was black and fairly large, Blanca and Babette had a hold and all four were doing a dance in slow circles. The Hog of course was doing all it could to get loose, but the great white one would have none of that. I eased up to the hog and tried to ascertain its sex as I drew my bayonet from its scabbard. The hog was male and not terribly large. I went to stab him and Blanche got in the way. The hog made another half turn and I plunged the blade into its exposed side. The hog squealed and made another half turn in the opposite direction and exposed the other side which was now clear. I stabbed again and then backed out. The hog was done, and soon expired.

Atta boys,actually atta girls all around. Especially for Blanche, her first confirmed find.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats FINE Larry!
Blade's long enough you could burry it in the ground real easy huh?
Thanks for sharing your story and picture.
Treat those dogs right now and they'll do you
a lot of good on pigs.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt ! Well done the dogs and well done on the weight loss too !! Enjoyed reading. Thanks

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know Larry very interesting.

I have closed in on wounded bears and shot them at mere inches.

Don't know if I could do a hog with one of my bowies.

Would be interesting to try.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the kind remarks. George I treat the dogs well, because they are family, really. Charlie I'm wearing clothing that I had put up as being too tight, a little bonus from the hunting.

P. Dog Shooter, you would have no problem with your bowies. It is all about having confidence in the catch dog really.

The trick is to get in when the catch dog has control of the hog. Sometimes you need to wait just a hair to see that it does, but you can't wait too long as a boar can do damage to the pack, and needs to be dispatched as soon as possible. You do have hogs break free sometimes, I was run over by a sow that came free from my son-in-law's pit once. I still shudder wondering what would have been the outcome if it had been a boar. That said, a good catch dog makes the approach fairly safe, and don't go in head on to the hog, though that's not always the way things work out with the movement of the animals in the process.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not all fun and games. Today Babette got a 10" long gash from the base of her throat down her chest, exposing her esophagus. One millimeter here or there and she'd be dead. Blanche received two puncture wounds to her chest. Blanca a gash across her eye to the top of her head. Fortunately the eye itself was not lacerated. My son-in-law and me stitched the dogs wounds, administered antibiodoics and penicillin and hoping for the best.

The dogs took off on a track and were not seen or heard again until Babette and Blanche returned after 45 minutes worse for the wear. Blanca showed up after about 2 hrs. and appeared to be totally played out. I thought she was dead when she failed to return with the others. I was worried sick. One bad boar for sure. The dogs did their duty, I wasn't able to do mine.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations my friend ,and take care of your white angels.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote