Tools

Y'all have likely seen this
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Let's see. First you ban hunting them? cuckoo

https://apnews.com/article/wil...64d5f4b136fc137b7665

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having hunted then turned to killing/eradication I would agree with the decision to ban hunting these type hogs... as the article offers.
"That means 65% or more of a wild pig population could be killed every year and it will still increase, Brook said. Hunting just makes the problem worse, he said. The success rate for hunters is only about 2% to 3% and several states have banned hunting because it makes the pigs more wary and nocturnal — tougher to track down and eradicate."
I spent several years getting a smallish area of maybe 14 square miles free of wild hogs it is/was nearly full time task, disposal during the early day, tracking and setting bait/observation stations then placing and monitoring traps... BIG cellular controlled traps (twelve 8ftx5ft panels and a 8ftx5ft gate). We had little success until the landowners were convinced that hunting/hunters were NOT helping the situation.
Just yesterday a local farmer stated that the hogs are once again being seen in this same area after more than a two year absence...
Once the local deer hunters vacate the woods we'll begin the process of KILLING hogs again.
Hogs are intelligent, one event with a trap or one run-in with a hunter can and often changes their pattern and susceptibility... best trap an entire sounder and leave none to pass along the process/experience.

Posts: 225 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about that area but around my place the success rate would be way way way higher . If I want to kill hogs , I’d bet there is better than a 75% chance of getting a shot.

At times, I have a very high hog population. We have been very successful in riding the ranch of a lot of hogs . Hunting played a big part in the reduction. Generally , I hunt with suppressors and shoot sows. I can shoot a sow in the head using subsonic ammo and often the remainder of the sounder will return quickly. I ain’t shy about shooting the shoats with a suppressed 22.

We also trap a hell of a lot of hogs. We cut the boars and let them go. The sows and gilts don’t make it .

They are intelligent. They breed often. I have seen sows that were not 50 pounds with a bunch of little pigs.

I personally like having some around . It is fantastic to take a kid when the kid is almost guaranteed of getting a shot. I like to shoot them. They can be a massive pain in the ass. I have had to fence a bunch of food plots just to keep the hogs out.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Driving around in a side by side banging away at what you see in the day light - 2-3 % , setting up after dark with suppressor and thermal, priceless Smiler

Always baffled why we don't organize driven hunts here in US. Lots of pigs killed that way in europe and I'm not talking the high fence areas.

Have also killed plenty under full or near full moon with regular scope over bait/ under feeders before I could afford thermal. I still hunt that way in europe.

Posts: 1068 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My place would be impossible to have drives . Too thick .

A place with lots of pressure can surely be different and difficult. My place does not have a lot of pressure. There are many ways to hammer them and hammer them hard. For example , take a supressed rifle with subsonic ammo. Get in a shooting house . Barely open one of the windows. Shoot through the opening . They never know what is happening . I have shot as many as 11 in a single sitting this way . Supressed rifles with thermal scopes is another .

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
All methods are used here in Texas from trap and slaughter (or trap and sell to a high-fenced "hunt" operation) to tactical assassination at night with thermals and suppressed rifles, to incidental take at the feeders to banging away from the side-by-side.
If the state government wants to ban hog hunting here, that's a rodeo that would be really fun to watch -- from a safe distance! rotflmo

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t know about that area but around my place the success rate would be way way way higher .

From the title "Super Pigs", I assumed this article was going to be a little unbelievable. I think if you are hunting in an area that has hogs, and your success rate is 2-3%, you are a pretty bad hunter. I never did read anything that made me believe what they are talking about is some kind of "super" pig.

One other thing that surprises me about any discussion or article about hog hunting is that they never mention eating wild hog. My friends and I eat every one I kill, boar or sow. I let Kuby's https://kubys.com/wild-game-processing/ turn them into sausage. It is outstanding. (If we don't want to go that route, we smoke them.)

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, I have every intention of eating any wild hog I am fortunate to collect, and will be choosy about it.
I am surprised at how many fellas over at the Texas Hunting Forum seem to hate to handle them, much less eat them.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Was in our local paper today and they referred to them as Super Pigs crossing from Canada to US.

quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
quote:
I don’t know about that area but around my place the success rate would be way way way higher .

From the title "Super Pigs", I assumed this article was going to be a little unbelievable. I think if you are hunting in an area that has hogs, and your success rate is 2-3%, you are a pretty bad hunter. I never did read anything that made me believe what they are talking about is some kind of "super" pig.

One other thing that surprises me about any discussion or article about hog hunting is that they never mention eating wild hog. My friends and I eat every one I kill, boar or sow. I let Kuby's https://kubys.com/wild-game-processing/ turn them into sausage. It is outstanding. (If we don't want to go that route, we smoke them.)

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have they indicated what makes them “super”? Just curious.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I will say this. As far as "handling" them, I have never field dressed a wild hog. I use the "Gatogordo Method". I hang them by the head, skin them, take the shoulders, hams, and back strap; and leave the ribs and tenderloins. I don't believe they are worth the extra time, effort, and mess.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I do unless I want to hang the hog for some reason.

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Leaving tenderloins behind is sacreligious and so is ribs…boo

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well hell!

I was going to order some of Kuby's hog meat products.
They don't sell to the public.

Ken, want to mail me some?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I googled the articles last night. I think the 2%-3% success rate MAY be the percentage of the population killed.

As best I could tell, the “super” hogs were the result of breeding domestic hogs with certain other species . Nothing mentioned made me think they were “super.”

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, that method would work for me. This place isn't nearly as much fun as it was when Charlie was still with us.

– John Green, author