New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back In The Saddle (Tripod) Again?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well--finally got clearance to start up feral hog control on a piece of land that had been off limits during deer season. Camera has been out two days and I couldn't wait any longer. Here's what I found, and yep, there are 13 of them and that big sow on the right is about ready to domino too. Pics and reports to follow once the rains clear out.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time to Hunt!
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
It looks like a great "honey hole" for pork. As bad as we need the rain, I sure hated to see it show up this weekend. I was headed to Dilley to do some coyote calling and pop some hogs too.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep--need the rain badly. I hope we have good, frequent, and considerable rains the next few months, and a couple of good ones in June, July, and August for antler growth. I've seen the best antlers around here this year I've ever seen.

Oh well, I guess I'll watch football this afternoon after I get the fireplace going--too damp and drizzly to go sit in the tripod, and too muddy to drive the truck to the ambush hide.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Been out to the spot 3 times in the past week, and tonight I saw the first pig. I was sitting in my brush pile hide, 75 yds from the feeder and intermittently raising my head and peeking at the feeder. About 8:50 I noticed the left feeder legs didn't go all the way to the ground--and thought "That's strange" but then realized there was a pig between me and the feeder. Got the rifle on the bipod but pig had its butt to me. I eased into a better position and the pig had walked into the shadows. Could hardly see the animal, and I just watched through the scope as it fed back towards the light. But, before I could get the crosshairs on its head, it spooked. About 3 minutes later a medium sized black dog came trotting through. Mad

'Twas a good night though--saw deer, the pig, a skunk, cottontails, a jackrabbit, the dog, and what appeared to be a feral cat, but too dark to tell for sure. I wasn't lonely. Be back in the saddle Wednesday night.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have shot the dog.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and the cat too

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Me too-but shooting at a black animal in the dark is tough when they are still, much less moving on.

Back out tonight-report to follow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if those big groups ever come in when you're actually in your stand, but it seems like a Benelli 12 ga loaded with #3 buck would be just the ticket. One of my favorite memories of quail hunting back in Hawaii was when I spotted 10 or so pigs trotting my way. I was carrying my trusty 870 and had never heard of a 3 shot plug...no migratory bird hunting. I had time to dump my #6's and replace them with buckshot. At about 10 yards I stood up and emptied my gun. The rest of my day was spent cleaning and packing out meat. I remember thinking, even as a young man, that my day would have been much more relaxing if I had just stuck to quail.

Give em heck, it's sure a lot of fun hunting those guys.

Matt

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote