New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 nosler in 45-70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I tried the 300 nosler winchester factory, in my 45-70 for the first time on deer. I was happy with the result. I would assume that it would be excellent on boar too. Anyone use it on boar ?

one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
I know this is the wrong part of the forum, but if I'm using my 45-70 on hogs, it'll be with a 320 to 405 cast boolit.

I almost always carry my S&W 6" 57 with cast 210 when there is a potential for a shot at a hog.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree with CIPNR I have shot quite a lot of pigs with a 45/70 usually with cast projectiles 350gr to 450gr, I don,t see why use the lighter weight projectiles,in my area you might have to shot though bush.

Posts: 7 | Location: HUNTER VALLEY AUSTRALIA | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick Jamison did an article awhile back in Shooting Times on the 450 Marlin in the Marlin lever-gun and his penetration tests showed the 300gr Nolser gave far more penetration than any other bullet used.....I must admit that the test only included jacketed bullets. As I recall the 300gr Nosler achieved 24" compared to the next (BarnesX and Swift) which did about 6" to 7" less in the same medium. Pretty impressive. Nosler has always been my "go to" bullet of choice for almost any cartridge.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I observed its use on two elk last year and it was a miserable disapointment IMO...no blood trail and they both covered a lot of ground before going down and they were both shot twice and shot well.....I would use a Bridger FN solid should I choose to use a 45-70 or 45-90 on elk, with a hard cast FN being my second choice...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote