Find
Notify
Tools

30-40 Krag for big hogs?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
Quick question. I have a chance to hunt some big hogs (not these 100 pounders, either) down South somewhere-my boss just asked me and I have no details yet. I've also never hunted them. I have a 375/284 Win which, I know, will take out a pig pronto. It also has a scope-1.5-5x.
Here's the question-I have a 30-40 Krag w/just a peep that I'd like to use because it's the only gun I have that's scopeless for a close, quick shot if needed. Enough oomph? I'd probably use 200 gr Northforks or Partitions.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do you think it wouldn't work ? The 30-40 has taken many types of game and a 180 Partition or heavier will do the job. Check the search function to find drawings of pig anatomy so you know exactly where to hit them. Give us a report !

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I agree with everything Mete said, in particular the part about posting a report when you return. The only caution I would make is to see at what ranges the shots are expected. If for some reason they will be 100 plus yards the scope would come in handy, and it is a low-powered variable so it should work fairly close in.

Otherwise I see no issues with the Krag.

Have a good hunt.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles and mtet are correct. I have shot a lot of hogs, many with a 308.
Since you are going to unfamiliar territory I would take both rifles. Then use the one that fits where/how you are hunting.
Let us know how the hunt turns out.

PS. Is your 30/40 a "real" Krag. They are sweet rifles. thumb

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
The Krag was no slouch with the original load, of 220gr/2200fps. A 220gr Hornady or Sierra RNSP will also get the job done.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HogKiller
Are you comming to the DSC?
If so DO NOT bring you bolt rifle to the DRSS get together. Rumor has it that several members are planning on tossing you out the window if you do. Eeker
They let you slide last year, barely. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Tony, yes I will be there. No, my glorious 458 Lott will not be there. As I have already shown y'all what a proper working rifle is all about. sofa Good thing nobody tried to give me flying lessons, as I did have twenty rounds there. jumping(always prepared) clap At least it was not a BLASER. animal

Hog Killere

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer
Looking foward to seeing you again. thumb

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2, yup, it's a real one (1894 Springfield), but Gramps, long since gone, had it cut down a bit, but that's all. I think it was a carbine to begin with anyways-the orig front sight holes are still there). Got my biggest whitetail ever with it-that's kind of why I'd like to thump a pig with it, too

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
Then take it afield. You always feel good when you shoot something with a classic rifle.

posted Hide Post
I believe several hundred long deceased Spanish Horses can attest to the capabilities of the 30-40 Kraig.

Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 15 | Location: Orange,TX | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Paul,
Then take it afield. You always feel good when you shoot something with a classic rifle.

Absolutely!

Charles Bronson

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
why not a 220 grs woodleigh for hogs?

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Said it before, and I'll say it again--with the hogs (and other game animals too provided you use an appropriate caliber), it isn't what you hit 'em with, it is where you hit 'em.

Hogs die easily--don't necessarily leave great blood trails, so that is why I draw an imaginary line from the ear hole to the back corner of the eye, and shoot 'em mid point of the line. DRT--bang, flop! or however you choose to describe it.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry I missed this thread when it appeared in December, but I was hunting hard trying to get a doe for the freezer. But am glad it re-surfaced. My experience is also that hogs are not hard to kill, but you must hit them right, like any animal. I have used and continue to use a Marlin 22 WMR with Winchester FMJs, a Weaver K-4 and head shots, they are plain lethal. It is not my choice for hunting hogs, but will work in close cover when river cruising or hunting turkeys in the spring. That said, the 30-40 Krag should dust one easily, once again provided they hit it right. I try for head shots, or at least forward of the shoulder, (I hate to waste a lot of meat) and have had very good results that way.
I would like to someday own a nice 30-40, it would complete my collection of US military calibers, except for the 50-70 cf.
Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
A guy could also use 220 grains of cast lead at ~2,000 fps. Especially in that old "Veteran" 1894 Krag. salute

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Boy I'm glad to read this thread. My SMLE will be going into the deer woods this fall, and now i know the Woodleigh 215s will be good for hogs.

Posts: 4 | Location: Clover, Sc | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's all about shot placement not firepower. i've saw big hogs in the 350+ range takend with a 30-30 with factory ammo.

http://www.gitrbayed.com
makeing bears and boars worst nightmare come true since 1990

Posts: 30 | Location: tennessee | Registered: 23 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only caveat I would add to this is SOME bullets for the slower moving .308 types, such as the 30-30, are designed to be pretty fragile for expanding on deer. While I certainly agree that any proper shot placement will kill a hog, I'd choose a better bullet than average, such as a Nosler Partitiion for a .30-40.

In addition, many people are either not capable of or too excited when they see some of their first hogs to take a good head shot. A close in behind the shoulder shot will almost ALWAYS result in a dead hog within a 100 yards and usually closer. This shot gives you an aiming area at least the size of a dinner plate whereas the head neck shot has an area more on the order of a coffee cup or smaller. A little high on the neck or too far forward on the head and you've lost a hog. Again, I'm not opposing head shots, I use them often, but many times they are not an option dut to the hogs position or movement and for many people should not be considered at any time. JMNSHO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thought -- the peep might be hard to use in low light or darkness. Alot of our hunting is done at night. lee

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo-

I killed a bunch of 'em wih a Rem 600 in .308, which was a great little rifle for a S. Tx tower blind. I was shooting the 150 gr flat-point bullets you see in .30-30 ammo. Only loaded them to 2400 fps as that was the most accurate load in the rifle. All my shots were bang-flop, DRT. But then I didn't take any shots beyond 125 yds or so.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gatogordo

I disagree alittle about shooting them behind the shoulder as almost all the heart-lung area in a pig is between the shoulders(see http://www.texasboars.com/)As for the 308 using 30-30 bullets, I've tried 170PTs at 2500fps to be a little 'explosive' at 100yds. As that is the average distance that I shoot hogs I went back to 165PTs The're not quite as explosive yet offer a comprise in longer shots for deer and pigs. I've had great luck with 150 Power Point factory loads and you might consider the 180s. my $.02, capt david
troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote