Find
Notify
Tools

The Pigs Have left The Building
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks,

I have been hunting our resident pigs for over a month now and I just can’t find them. A friend called me last week after a rain we had and I went out to hunt with him two nights last week and nada pigs. There is a lot of corn on the ground from the choppers but we never found a track. The local farmers are getting ready to start shelling corn so there will be more pickings for them to pick.

Last Tuesday I saw two shoats about 70-80 pounders that had been shot by another guy I know and they were just dirt poor, skinny pigs. In fact they looked sick? When they should have been rolling fat with all they have had to eat this spring. No pictures as I did not know I would be seeing them.

Anyone seen anything like this before? The pigs just disappear?

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swifter 220:
Folks,

I have been hunting our resident pigs for over a month now and I just can’t find them. A friend called me last week after a rain we had and I went out to hunt with him two nights last week and nada pigs. There is a lot of corn on the ground from the choppers but we never found a track. The local farmers are getting ready to start shelling corn so there will be more pickings for them to pick.

Last Tuesday I saw two shoats about 70-80 pounders that had been shot by another guy I know and they were just dirt poor, skinny pigs. In fact they looked sick? When they should have been rolling fat with all they have had to eat this spring. No pictures as I did not know I would be seeing them.

Anyone seen anything like this before? The pigs just disappear?

Depends on the weather and food sources. When it's dry, they tend to move to wetter areas. We had one period on our 5,200 acre lease where we didn't see any for 6+ months, then they reappeared everywhere all of the sudden and we started nailing them again.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3060 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, like last year when the creeks all dried up, they were around a local lake, you could actually shoot them from a boat. They will move with the water.

This year has been Normal I suppose as far as normal goes, and we have had about 3" rain in the past week, which we needed, but the pigs are not anywhere to be found.

I drove out to where my trap is this morning late and my friend was starting to shell corn and there was plenty of ears laying out in the field that were missed. Go figure.

The two pigs I saw last week were, I think sick. Man they were just skin and bones and with all the green around this year, could not figure that one out.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That happens at my place pretty regularly, especially after we shoot a few...they will disappear for a few weeks and then show back up thick as ever.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2814 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The two pigs I saw last week were, I think sick. Man they were just skin and bones and with all the green around this year, could not figure that one out.

Swifter - I shot a boar this past Saturday AM that should have carried 150 lbs on his frame. He was just a touch over 90. Super lean, almost emaciated. So much so I called one of the USDA guys in the area so we can sample some of the next pigs we take.

Regarding the disappearance, we see our pigs go "nomadic" in the late winter, moving out of the swamps and into the pine plantations. My assumption has been that this has been due to search of food, as the mast crop has been exhausted by February. Fortunately we have plenty of pines too Wink

Posts: 43 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: 03 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep--they come and go. This pic is at a feeder that had only a single solitary boar coming about 2x per week, until these all showed up at once.

Target-rich environment.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I shot a boar 2 Falls back, I don't go be years I go by seasons. He had the framework of a 150 pound plus animal but probably weighed 75 or less. I shot him and let him lay where he fell.

I am beginning to see more hog sign than last year at this time b ut the draught has definitely had am effect in our area at least.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were starting to get dry, but we have had over three inches of rain in the last two weeks. The rain has been very spotty at best.

I cannot figure out why some of the pigs are fat and healthy and some are just dirt poor. Maybe an internal parasite? Lord knows there are plenty of good green pickings around here this year. I have been hoping I would run into our local game warden and ask him about the poor weight on some of the locals.

I guess that the pigs are nomadic and will return; I have some new medicine for them in the way of some 85 gr. Barnes TSX in the 6MM AI. The load is showing an average of 3360 FPS, and I want to see how well they perform or don’t perform.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swifter,
If the TSX don't work, some 85 gr. Nosler Partitions sure will.

240 Weatherby, 85 gr. Nosler Partition, 120 yds.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as the phrase states....

You draw very well GW !

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swifter,
I know it's a problem I should be glad to have but I don't have hogs at my feeders right now either. I have game cams up etc and have seen no sign of them. My feeders are within 1/4 of a mile from the Brazos river so water isn't an issue.

Sometimes I'm covered up in them, sometimes I don't see them forever.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it appears there is no shortage of hoglets where I hunt.

Almost 3000 pix of hogs between April and June. A bunch of coons, a few turkey and also fox. Two pix of deer.

Evidently the hogs have ran the deer out of building where I'm at.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedub,
Be glad to come help dispatch a few of them for you. I can help with the coon situation too.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RC,

PM sent.

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GW,

Looks like you built your roadhouse where you would definitely get a lot of business. Sure looks like you need to do a little house cleaning to get rid of the trouble makers. Maybe a new bouncer would help???

When you get a lot of guys in there looking for some good food and female company, things can go bad, rather quickly. I guess that there are some that just try to make a hog out of themselves and naturally start trouble.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Swifter - I shot a boar this past Saturday AM that should have carried 150 lbs on his frame. He was just a touch over 90. Super lean, almost emaciated. So much so I called one of the USDA guys in the area so we can sample some of the next pigs we take.

Carolina, I would be interested to see what the USDA guys say about the lean pigs. May not be anything to be concerned about, but I don't believe I want to eat on a pig that may have a nasty bug.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"