One of Us
posted Hide Post
how do we post videos

Posts: 47 | Location: TX | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Hopefully one of these days I'll own a flinchlock to hoghunt with!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done. Great shot placement -- and with a smoothie. Are those little toots worth eating?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some folks eat them. i don't personally care for them so i don't shoot them unless i have someone to take the meat. Mike gave the one he shot to a Apache friend of his.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What smoothbore did he use? Brown Bess? Trade Gun/Fowler? That is so cool!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is a 20 gauge fowler.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are those little toots worth eating?

Yes they are if the meat is handled properly and cooked properly. They have 0% fat to them, one of the leanest animals I have ever butchered and the meat is actually very bland tasting, and can be over seasoned really easily.

Also if cooked fast over high heat it will be dry and tough, but from my experience most game meat is that way.

The biggest drawbacks when it comes to getting people to eat javelina is first the thoughts, to many folks believe the animals are related to rats or to weasels, neither of which is true.

Then there is the way the animals smell. With their hide on, they do smell like a skunk. One of the biggest mistakes many people made when shooting a javelina was to remove the musk gland.

In attempting that, they would get the smell from the gland on to the meat. The musk gland on a javelina is located in the hide and if a person will just not touch or mess with the gland, it comes off when the hide comes off, and the meat smells similar to fresh feral hog.

No, javelina will not compete with elk in a head to head taste test, but cooked properly it is pretty good eating.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of "rootkiller"........

Anyone notice there are no wild pigs in Key West ?

(chuckle)

Before you defend this troll, I winter @ 152 golf club dr, key west and he does not live next door !
Which is smart, as there is a BOLO out on him in Monroe County FL for previous death threats made on another site. I mean how dumb do you have to be to make a death threat using the handle "stx" and then post a stupid video using stx again after you already made insulting posts here to the same same person you threatened to kill...there ?

My house in FL with my dog:

Same dog at the Cirque of the Towers in the Wind River Range above Pinedale WY.

Hmm? wonder where I "stole the pictures off the internet." ???? And yes, my name is Root and I rather doubt he'll ever get close enough to become a "rootkiller".

Hope he's too old to breed more idiots.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you have vivid imagination larry, no ever threatened you simply pointed out how stupid you are for attacking people online when they know where you live and could show up on your door step. your an ignorant fool to think anyone would lose sleep over your threats of leo. your just a sore sport because i got your goat when i sent you the monopoly money for your lame lay a way scam.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
and don't think i didn't realize you'd figure out who i was, it doesn't bother me that you know, what will you do call the secret service lol, you know your only one call away from having to answer a lot of questions over your firearms dealings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looked over at 153, didn't see anyone but the man who lives there. He was concerned about someone who makes death threats using his address. Being a Federal employee, he is concerned about identity theft.
You might want to use 150 Golf Club Dr as it is in foreclosure and vacant.

As for "dealings" you may wish to read the legal opinions posted on Gunbroker and Auction Arms as well as reading 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(21)(C) before tossing around (more) threats.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, take your petty back and forth into the PM section of this forum. No need to stink up the public forums with your feud.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"rootkiller" on ignore. PM to moderator.

apology for "taking the bait"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just put these two fools on your ignore list and they'll go away.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photo of the Wind River Range. Lots of bighorn sheep living there.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Are those little toots worth eating?

Yes they are if the meat is handled properly and cooked properly. They have 0% fat to them, one of the leanest animals I have ever butchered and the meat is actually very bland tasting, and can be over seasoned really easily.

Also if cooked fast over high heat it will be dry and tough, but from my experience most game meat is that way.

The biggest drawbacks when it comes to getting people to eat javelina is first the thoughts, to many folks believe the animals are related to rats or to weasels, neither of which is true.

Then there is the way the animals smell. With their hide on, they do smell like a skunk. One of the biggest mistakes many people made when shooting a javelina was to remove the musk gland.

In attempting that, they would get the smell from the gland on to the meat. The musk gland on a javelina is located in the hide and if a person will just not touch or mess with the gland, it comes off when the hide comes off, and the meat smells similar to fresh feral hog.

No, javelina will not compete with elk in a head to head taste test, but cooked properly it is pretty good eating.

If you slow roast one until it pulls off the bone and then do so like pulled pork, you can integrate it into a lot of recepies that use other meats. One of the best is to substitute javelina for chicken in King Ranch chicken. 40 years ago while working on a friend's father's ranch we lived off javelina because his dad didn't want us shooting anything else. This was well before South Texas was chock full of ferral hogs. We usually put a quarter (front or hind) in a rectangular cake pan and put a box of Uncle Ben's Wild rice mix in as per the stove top directions except we baked it covered with foil for a couple of hours. It was pretty decent eating.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What tiggertate said, plus 100.

It will never replace elk/axis or bison meat, but it ain't trash.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good to hear that javelina can be eaten, with proper technique. I've long wanted to hunt the rascals, but didn't want to just leave them.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Everyone that eats them has their own take on how best to clean them. I haven't eaten one in quite a while but my recommended process is the same as hogs; wash well with a stiff brush and Dawn or similar to get as much of the musk oil off the fur as possible. My buddy does this by dragging his down the road a mile or two in the dust, making sure to stop and flip it at least once, lol.

Then as you skin one make sure to roll the hide AWAY from the meat, never letting the hair touch meat. Never touch the meat after you've touched hair. Two folks are best. I gut them after they've been skinned As long as none (as in nonograms) of the musk contaminates the meat they are fine.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have skinned a couple and cooked a few, and I always just load them into the vehicle take them to the skinning shed, roll them out of their hide and never touch the musk gland or let it touch the meat and have never had any of the meat come out smelling like anything but fresh meat. Not quite the same smell as fresh pork but not much different.

From my experience, the biggest problem people have is messing with the musk gland in any way. Unlike skunks and weasels where the musk gland is in the body cavity, the gland on the javelin is in the skin. If a person will just take the hide off, not touch the gland or let it touch the meat there won't be a problem.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
tu2