New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some hogs we got with the dogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Aloha Gang been a while since ive been on just thought id add some pics of some hogs we got with the dogs unfortunately I havent got pics of all the hogs but I figured some was better than none Smiler Aloha, Dom

This boar was a ornery fella he broke from the dogs and ran into me he tore into me after taking 7 hits from a 10mm and was still able to flip me in the air and into the river. good thing I didnt get cut bad as we were very far from the truck or help for that matter been there before and its not a good thing.

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple more

only 2 dogs on this one when I got to the battle it was exciting Smiler

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was privleged to hunt molaki once. Seeing these pigs makes me want to get back to the islands for a hunt.

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did some training at Pohakaloa Training Area (probably spelled wrong) while in the Corps during the 90s. Never saw one of those hogs clearly, but at night a couple times i could see their beedy little eyes glaring back at me. Big Bastards! Nice Pics!

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I see y'all are still growing them big and mean! It is great to see the strong Russian/Eurasian blood line.

Congrats,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking hogs ultramag!!

tu2 tu2

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations ,very nice boars and excellent tusks .I have been hunting this week end ill post photos later .
I would like photos of the dogs.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice hogs Ultramag! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Bradda Dom,

Wow, it's a great privilege to see just a few of your NASTY BOYZ posted here! Awesome!

I have great respect for you having done it so many years for I know it's YOUR WAY OF LIFE!

I think what would impress other folk here too is to post the type of terrain you hunt and especially how far from the truck you hunt having to bring out these Polynesian pigs on your back! Eeker Eeker Eeker

I know you're very humble bradda, BUT please forgive me for asking as I find that too very respectfully impressive to say the least!

Aloha!

Ro

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I'm all too familiar with the terrain over there! shocker

You boys are real hunters and I have the deepest respect for you!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Dom,
Good to see you back on the forum. It been too long an abscense. Will be back on Niihau this coming Thurs. to whack more porkers. It's been very dry there so action will be good around the waterholes.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ScopeBite
posted Hide Post
Aloha Dom. Nice work on those hogs! I would have to get into some shape to play like that. I think about the islands all the time and how much I would love to get back over there. I want to play stick the pig and then go to Niihau whack the porkers.

I have a question that has been bugging me. On the Polynesian boars I am wondering about the snout and forehead and how it differs from say a russian boar. Is it just the hair on the forehead that makes it look like it is more bumped out or is there a noticeable forehead bump? I also seems that the snout on the island pigs is much more rounded. I took a nice hog on the Parker Ranch a couple years ago and shortly before that I took a nice big boar here in CA. These hogs look completely different in the field in many ways. I had both mounted (one in Hawaii and one in CA) and I had hoped that the differences would stand out. Unfortunatly once mounted they do not show all the differences that well. I am thinking that the taxidermists use the same forms. I am the only one that knows which was taken in Hawaii and which was taken in CA.

Any thoughts on that guys?

Geoff and Roland Aloha to both of you too....

Shawn

I would rather Boar Hunt for my Bacon!

Posts: 136 | Location: Bakersfield California | Registered: 26 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Shawn,
Niihau is the only Hawaiian island that has the purely genetic Polynesian pig as brought over around 1,100 years ago. Domestic stock was never introduced to the island. All other islands have hybrid genetics. The Niihau pig is narrower framed with a longer snout, very flat head, and very big ears that stand straight up. The body weights are much lower although the body lengths may by close to hybrid pigs. The Niihau pigs are more carnivore than omnivore due to the limited vegetation on the arid island. They are quite aggressive, especially when in packs and will often act more like dogs.

In lean times, the pigs there will hunt sheep and small calves. Ground nesting albatross are far from safe. We use sheep carcasses for bait. If we do not return in a few hours, the carcasses will disappear, leaving only tuffs of wool. Even the skull and horns are dragged off into the bush.

On each trip, I make sure that we do a poor job of porker control, killing only a couple of hundred each trip. This assures job security, and it has for 18 years.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScopeBite:
Aloha Dom. Nice work on those hogs! I would have to get into some shape to play like that. I think about the islands all the time and how much I would love to get back over there. I want to play stick the pig and then go to Niihau whack the porkers.

I have a question that has been bugging me. On the Polynesian boars I am wondering about the snout and forehead and how it differs from say a russian boar. Is it just the hair on the forehead that makes it look like it is more bumped out or is there a noticeable forehead bump? I also seems that the snout on the island pigs is much more rounded. I took a nice hog on the Parker Ranch a couple years ago and shortly before that I took a nice big boar here in CA. These hogs look completely different in the field in many ways. I had both mounted (one in Hawaii and one in CA) and I had hoped that the differences would stand out. Unfortunatly once mounted they do not show all the differences that well. I am thinking that the taxidermists use the same forms. I am the only one that knows which was taken in Hawaii and which was taken in CA.

Any thoughts on that guys?

Geoff and Roland Aloha to both of you too....

Shawn

Aloha Shawn,

Yep, that BIG boar you got with Pat is a BEAST!!! Congrats!!!

Your observations are correct as we used the same taxidermist and he uses the same available forms...My son and I noticed that when we received our shoulder mounts too!

Nevertheless, the mounts look COOL!!!

Take care buddy! Smiler

Aloha!

Ro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Guys,

Thanks for the comments and im glad to have a brotherhood of hog hunters here on AR that I can share my love of boar hunting with Big Grin

I'll try and see if I can put up more pics soon.

Juan, I will try to get pics of the dogs I have of some of them but not all.

Shawn, Yeah Geoff pretty much summed it up for you as youve noticed the boars with hybrid blood tend to have a more dished forehead than a more Eurasian line.

Geoff, Man....Im really NEEDING to get over there in a very bad way Big Grin good to hear from you stopped by Bradda Rolands house the other day and was talking about you. One day i'll make it over there with you...very soon I hope Smiler

Bradda Ro, Thanks my bradda yeah it took me a very long time but figured out a better way to bring the pigs out Big Grin I'll try to see if got pics of where we hunt. The longest measured hunt ive been on was roughly 14 miles or so. More than half of that was with a 185# and 165# boars on my back maybe thats why the body is feeling the way it does LOL!!!

I dropped off a couple jaws for your bradda today with your Pops and he gave me the bag tripe stew AU'RYTE!!! I'll try get him more jaws the tusk arent that big only 3 inch or so hope he can use it.

Aloha,

Dom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here you go Bradda Ro since you asked Big Grin

A pic of me packing out a 145# boar with a few miles to go and a hill from hell to climb Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin The bottom pic ive posted before but it gives a slight idea of where we hunt. Caught the boar deep in the valley that you can see. From the river to the ridgeline is almost a thousand vertical feet we gain. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heres a 205# boar we got with the dogs VERY RARE occurence on my island...Enjoy! Packing it wasnt very enjoyable though Big Grin...Aloha!

One of Us
Picture of ScopeBite
posted Hide Post
Geoff I know I keep talking but one of these days I am going to get overthere to do a poor job with you. Everytime you mention just a little more to keep me going.
Roland keep in touch my friend and yes the mounts are great. I had the spanich goat skull nickel plated out of Montana and it is also a great reminder of that day with Pat. The goat hunt kicked my ass.
Dom you are the man! Thanks for sharing the pics.

I would rather Boar Hunt for my Bacon!

Posts: 136 | Location: Bakersfield California | Registered: 26 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shawn,
Nickel plating a skull. I gotta see that. Please post a pic for us. Interesting alternative to taxidermy work that could be mounted on the hood of my car.

Geoff

Shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Geoff,

Yeah nickel plating is very nice I did both my Baboon and Warthog very nice.

Dom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScopeBite:
Geoff I know I keep talking but one of these days I am going to get overthere to do a poor job with you. Everytime you mention just a little more to keep me going.
Roland keep in touch my friend and yes the mounts are great. I had the spanich goat skull nickel plated out of Montana and it is also a great reminder of that day with Pat. The goat hunt kicked my ass.
Dom you are the man! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Shawn,

Great...We'll definitely keep in touch...just got back from Lanai and shot 2 Axis deer...buck and a doe...God is GOOD!!!!!!

Aloha!

Ro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah Bradda Dom!!!!!

Love them pics and thanks for posting beer

I have great respect for your WAY OF LIFE!!!

Truly not for the faint of heart...LIVING ON THE EDGE...with all the puns intended Big Grin

One day gotta shoot some video tu2

Aloha!

Ro

BTW, my bradda is stoked with the JAWZ/TUSKS you brought over and POPS is more than blessed that you loved his TRIPE STEW...They'll be more VERY SOON...SPECIAL FOR YOU and UNCLE GEOFF next time.... beer

MUCH MAHALOS for all your ALOHA Wink Wink Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heres couple more hogs:

This is the only pic I have of this boar he messed up our dog "Bandit" pretty bad so luckily we got him.

Heres some hogs we got with my son, loved every minute of it Smiler.

Aloha,

Dom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dom,

Our kids grow up so fast don't they...Last time I saw a pic of him was last year I think of his deer hunt?

Congrats he's following up in his dad's footsteps very fast!

A relationship sent from heaven above! tu2

Bradda that's one NASTY boar Big Grin

Aloha!

Ro