Notify
Tools

Dogs on boars
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Gentlemen

I am posting these pictures on behalf of Juan Pozzi.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos! I just love these action shots -- unfortunately it makes me want to go hunting when at the moment I can't........ Frowner

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andre ,this are banddogs and another breeds from a friend who is a guide too he uses banddogs and catahoulas ,he lived in Lousiana so hes accustom to such dogs i prefer the dogos and greyhounds and pointers combination .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Juan --

The Bandog with which I am familiar is typically a Neopolitan Mastiff/American Pit Bull cross, or a descendant of such a cross. See this page. Are these a similar cross or something different? I would have thought they were too heavy for chasing hogs in the heat.

Great pictures, by the way.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles - just my guess but they are probably used as people use pit bulls around here, strictly on the leash and turned out when they get close to a bayed up hog. Their only job is to run 50-100 yards and catch a hog.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
Charles - just my guess but they are probably used as people use pit bulls around here, strictly on the leash and turned out when they get close to a bayed up hog. Their only job is to run 50-100 yards and catch a hog.

Makes sense if they are a catch dog only.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
He uses pit bull and band dogs as catch dogs he hunted a lot of time in Lousiana so he uses catahoulas as bay dogs and band dogs in the last 200 mts ,i prefer hunting with all my dogs loose the bay dogs running ahead and when the action began the dogos attack ,but the dogo can support a lot of heat and running distance .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan - I have two dogo catahoula crosses that will be catch dogs that I run on the ground. One is just a puppy and the other I'm working on hogs right now.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Fella's,
Juan nice boar and nice action shots. In Hawaii we hunt as you do all dogs loose strike/Tracking dogs as well as catch/grab dogs at one point in time my boyfriend hunted with all purebreed pitbulls males ranged from 80-105# hunting weight the females were a little smaller and they hunted all day from dark to dark with no heat problems. Where we hunt its most beneficial to have the dogs loose to get to the action faster. Thanks again for sharing the pics makes me wanna go get the dogs and go hunting jumping.

Aloha!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Juan, nice pictures my friend !!!

they make my blood to start boiling .... Big Grin

BTW, nice doggies indeed Big Grin but I much prefer the "white angels" as PHC once called them !!! Cool

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The white angels are way cooler then pitbulls.
The dogo fights the boar smart and lets go when the boar is about to get the upper hand (or tooth) then it comes back with swift aggressiveness and lots of hart.

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JefferyDenmark:
(....) comes back with swift aggressiveness and lots of heart.

You said it all, Andre Cool thumb

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats the best picture I have seen in a while. That buddy looks tuckered out. Nothing I like to see more than whatching dogs do what they were breed to do.

Big-un

Posts: 81 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Jeffery,

No doubt the dogo is a very solid dog I have had a couple and hunted with others and they are a top dog. Where I hunt the dogs must not let go or the boar will get the upper hand. As for heart well I can only speak for myself here but I have yet to see ANY breed of dog with more heart than the pitbulls I hunt or have hunted with and ive hunted with most of them. Again please do not take this as an insult on the dogs or the dogo breed as they were bred for this very thing. I just wanted to share a view here as I am sure Juan believes the utmost in his dogs as he should and I would not expect anything less. In the end we hunt with what works for us and we love to do what we do and thats "Hunting Bad Ass Hogs with Bad Ass Dogs"!!!

Aloha and Happy Hunting!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ultra mag

I know the pitbulls are good dogs NO Doubt there. But is the Boars get real BIG like in argentina it is only a matter of time before the dogs get killed. And if the dogs do not let go and get back on (fighting smart) you might have a problem.
Anyways all well trained bad ass dogs will do the job I just like that fact that the dogo is such a technical fighter and not just all muscle.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ihave hunted with dogos ,akitas,rotweilers,baddogs and pitbulls ,even gwith german sheperds ,,dobermans,and dogo de burdeos ,its true that the pittbulls have an incredible agresiveness but the dogo has smell ,agressiveness ,is fast ,has a strong fur almost impenetrable ,a lot of resistance and its a rustic dog he can it and live of anything ,besides its specifically breeded for big game ,my labs are very good hunting partrige but not as good as my pointers ,and my pointers dont retrieve as a lab ,BUT PERHAPS IM NOT TOTALLY OBJECTIVE AS I LOVE MY DOGOS.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am also not objective Big Grin Lanhuel(dogo in the picture on top of the boar) saved my butt once.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post

Awsome, makes me wish I was back in Texas!

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffery and Juan, Understood! As I said they are a top dog but again where I live and hunt the terrain dictates the out come of the hunt. Our dogs CANNOT LET GO!!! once they engage its till death do they part Big Grin If they let go the pig will get further away/ run away or the dogs will get badly hurt or killed. One trait I do like is for the dog to lean into the pigs body when it grabs the pig this lessens the chance of injury. Again there are areas here where it is desirable for the dogs to do what you mention but where I live its a whole different story jumping Juan I would love to come and hunt with you and your dogs some day that is high on my list of things to do. If you are ever here in Hawaii let me know as I would love to have you hunt with us. Beautiful dogs by the way Cool

Aloha and Happy hunting!!!

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
To be totally honest i believe that for hunting collared peccaries and lipped peccaries pits bulls can be better because you must hunt in dense bush with small tunnels where dogos get stucked ,one of my friend lost too dogos in that tunnels ,but pits can be shot and that hapened many times in the past clients excited mistook pitts by peccaries ,Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Juan,

Exactly why we use bull's and bull crosses because we hunt in very thick,dense jungle and dog size is a consideration. In your case where you outfit for hunts the danger to your dogs is very real and having dogo's really help being that they are white in color. We hunt with knives as you do and only a couple of us carry weapons and we NEVER allow anyone new who hunts with us to carry ANY firearm for the very reason you describe only knives allowed. Anyway thanks for the pics always good to see those action shots gets the blood running Big Grin.

Aloha!!!

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We hunt with every kind of weapon including bows ,muzzeloaders etc and with experts like Jeffery denmark who is an expert on rifles and knives or Afrikaander who is expert in all knid of weapons and with people who hasnt experience ,the white color of the dog is just for seeing them PETER CAPSTICK called them the white angels.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA