Find
Notify
Tools

Bobby's Boar
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, here's partial payment Bobby.

Got to my parking place at 6:55 and got set up (adjusted the seat, got out the book) and settled in. By 8:00 all I'd seen was a good gobbler and a jake, plus a squirrel. Then about 10 after 8, I see dark movement in the mesquite about 40 yds to one side of the stand, in a trail coming from the pecan bottom which is between the feeder and a large tank about a half-mile away. Put the binocs on the dark spot and see two ears and two eyes in the weeds--hmmmmm-a pig, and a pretty big one. Earplugs in, rifle on the rest, take a peek-and he's standing broadside at 145 yds, so I put the X on the mark and squeeze it off. Blam, flash, recoil, no pig--oh yeah, weeds are about halfway to your waist. So, I unload the rifle, crank the Toyota and drive to the spot--there he is, deader'n can be, but I can't drive to him and I'm not sure I can drag him to the truck. Managed to get him out of the brush and shoot a couple of pics, then hang him on the scale and load him up.

Noticed he has some pretty nice teeth too.

The .22-250 put the smackdown on him--hit him just about an inch behind the eye, and midway between the eyeball and the earhole. Perfect shot to me. This is the entry wound on the left side of his head. Bullet didn't exit, but wouldn't expect it to on a dead broadside shot. Weighed 184 lbs. That makes a 161, a 184, a 192, and a 202 from this stand if memory serves me correctly.

Bobby--come on back!!!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
All right, you got him!!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
That'll do!

Loves me some Piggin'!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
That's a great hog, dustoffer!! Nice ivory! That spot seems to produce real well!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good hog dustoffer

some fine cutters too.

tu2 tu2

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Nice boar. beer
So, a 22-250 is a hog rifle? rotflmo

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This .22-250 is a hog rifle--but as with any smaller caliber, you got to hit 'em right. I take only the head shots normally, and at moderate to short ranges. This is as far as I've shot a hog with it--but shooting off a solid rest, calm winds, etc. and a known zero. I've killed 18 pigs in the last year, all but two of them with this rifle.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I was just funnin'. I've no doubt that with the right bullet and shot placement that it'll provide lots of bacon. tu2
Just making reference to the infamous .223 deer rifle threads.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What weight, brand bullet?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
onefunzr2--

I'm shooting the Nosler 55-gr Ballistic Tip at around 3500 fps. It is clearly the most accurate load in this rifle of some 15 different bullets I've tried. It shoots its best with the bullet seated out .035" from the lands, but then they won't cycle through the magazine and I have a "2-shooter" so I seat them deeply enough they'll go through the magazine, and it "only" shoots .75-.85" 3-shot groups off the bench. Manufacturers are somewhat constrained by the SAAMI specs so far as throating barrels, but when I build a rifle, you can bet the mag length/throat is a serious factor in the build. I also think that the hype over a short-action rifle is just that-hype. The difference between a .22-250 length action and a .30-06 length action isn't enough to matter to me.

One of Us
Picture of Zoboomafoo_dude
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting!

Posts: 93 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Well done. Mission accomplished.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Just to chime in on the bullets, I too use my 22-250 frequently on hogs. I personally prefer the 55 gr. Sierra #1365 SBT running at 3650 fps. They shoot .5 " in my rifle and leave hogs DRT.

Just another option.........

Bob

FYI-My "go to" hog rifle is my 7mm-08. I still like to place one behind the ear when possible.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I must say that I figured ya'll would be mostly using the TSX's for the hogs, though for head shots, I'm sure it doesn't matter all that much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the TSXs in this rifle. Most satisfied with the current projectile.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
That boar's got some serious cutters! Was going to ask if you are keeping the skull, but then it dawned on me that you perforated it! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
whitworth, I've got one good skull so I don't generally keep them anymore. I recently "mounted" some ivory I had laying around--

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1621043/m/2891074921

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
dustoffer,

I really like the "ivory mount" you did!!

Bob

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Awesome! And nice shooting, too. I knew you'd be putting that big fella' on the ground before long. tu2

As Bob said, I, too, really like the ivory mount you put together. Adds a nice touch to a living room, gun room, etc. and is an interesting conversation piece.

I am hoping to maybe do some shooting or hunting soon -- it's been way too long. Been run through the wringer lately with all sorts of medical tests, and I am tired of being poked and prodded. Starting some new meds today, have an upper GI Thursday, and then the doc wants to send me to Houston. Not sure how agreeable I am going to be, but at this point, I am willing to try anything if I can get some relief.

Off course, burning up some ammo on a few hogs tends to cure just about anything... Big Grin

You guys TAKE CARE and keep putting them on the ground. I plan on being back around fairly soon.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you post, Bobby! Hope you are well enough to hunt soon!

Semper Fidelis