Find
Notify
Tools

Hogs and dogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted
For several years now a friend of mine goes down south and hog hunts with some guys he knows. Last year he asked me if I wanted to tag along. Not sure why I didn't post these earlier but I guess I don't consider myself a hog hunter. It was fun. They catch them live then cut the boars and release everything when they are done. We didnt catch any big barr hogs to butcher but that didn't matter to me. I got to catch a little sow and on the last morning I got to go in first right after the catch dog on a big sow. I guess she wasn't a giant but she weighed more than me. I got both back legs off the ground but needed a hand to get her on her side. Hope you guys enjoy.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good action photos there. Thanks for sharing. Although most places I hunt have standing orders that all hogs are to be terminated, period.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
I kinda thought about that after I posted those pics. I'm sure most people wouldn't agree with letting them go. They do have some places they hunt where all hogs are taken out and they sell the small ones or feed them out.

If it was up to me they would have all been killed but it wasn't my show.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
GREAT PHOTOS!!!!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice images, those dogs look like they can take care of business.

You know several years ago, well actually a few more than several, a good friend of mine in South Texas used to do the exact same thing with the pigs they caught, cut the boars and release the sows. They didn’t get all the boars cut and the sows can have up to three litters a year. A little food for thought for your friends. Pigs are great to hunt and can be hunted year round excellent proving ground for bullets and loads. They may regret that they turned any loose later on.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Pics thanks for sharing. we do the same here with boars if possible. Nice dogs as well looks like possibly some plott and bmc dogs in there.

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Landowners on the 3 places I do feral hog control would boot me into the middle of next week if I let one go. I did a "wad shot" at a group of 12 23-30 pounders under a feeder w/a shotgun and killed 5 outright. When I called the landowner to tell him, he said "You mean you let 7 get away?" Big Grin

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Landowners on the 3 places I do feral hog control would boot me into the middle of next week if I let one go. I did a "wad shot" at a group of 12 23-30 pounders under a feeder w/a shotgun and killed 5 outright. When I called the landowner to tell him, he said "You mean you let 7 get away?"

If I am on a couple of places I hunt for pigs wheteher we shoot one or fifteen, " Thats All We Saw"......... Know what I mean?

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great photos and very impressive looking dogs! I have heard that cutting a boar causes him to grow much fatter and larger. I would agree with those who would have been filling a few freezers with those, but I understand how it is when you go by someone else's rules.

I judge my success in life by the number of hunting and fishing stories my sons are able to tell.

Posts: 4 | Location: Extreme South Texas | Registered: 03 July 2012Reply With Quote