Notify
Tools

A few Piggies and Dogs for ya
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted
http://www.boardogs.com/

A bad day hunting AIN'T BAD-ain't life grand !

Never be under gunned

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting site, w/ some good pics.

Got to say that this whole boar dog thing is starting to facinate me. Talk about back to extreme basics.

I've been raising Rotties for about 15 years now. I lost the papers on my original male in a nasty divorce (long story), but have maintained the bloodline regardless. Let's just say that they take such good care of us, that I could do no less....

Although most breeders would consider it blasphemy, I've always thought that these dogs, if crossed w/ the larger pit bulls (Arkansas Giant) would make for an awesome take down crew.

Here are a couple of shots of the kids:

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a great looking male there!
I had a couple of Rotties over 20 odd years and they are fantastic dogs as long as they are clear of hip problems.
The main consideration with pigs and these dogs is the dogs size and fitness. They certainly are strong enough and tough but if too heavy cannot travel far or keep up good pace.
Congrats!
APB

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with some of what APB says. Depending on where you hunt, size might not be all that important to a dog's survival compared to its agility. Where we hunt, big dogs are sometimes at a disadvantage on a big aggressive boar hog due to really thick brush that the hog runs into before he decides to fight. The dogs must be able to chase a hog long distances on trail and then have the stamina and agility to either catch them or keep them bayed until someone gets there.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
APB & RS -
You guys are 100% right about the size issue. A great many people that breed these dogs for looks or ego enhancement, favor large size over other attributes.

This is a dis-advantage for a true working dog - especially here in Texas. The heat taps an overly heavy dog out pretty quick. 90 to 125 LBS is about optimum for a well conditioned working Rottie.

As I can't even find an affordable hog lease, I'm really not in a position to get involved. I do think however, that with some selective breeding, these dogs would excell at both tracking & taking down any dangerous game - if properly trained.

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice piggies
great looking dogs

only mean if you make them

Posts: 46 | Location: Down South but north of OZ | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were down in Oklahoma in January waterfowl hunting when we ran into a guy that had some hog dogs. We ended up going with him one night, we never got anything but it was really sweet seeing his dogs how they worked. He had four dogs, two of the most rock solid most bad ass looking Pitt Bulls I have aver seen (with a great temperment by the way) and then two Black Mouth Currs for the bay dogs. The Currs rode on the hood of the truck, when they winded something they would run it down, corner it and then out come the Pitts. This guy never killed them, he hog tied them and sold them to the game farms down there for so much. I would have really liked to see them in action, but it was still really neat to see the dogs and how it was done. And I thought coon hunting was great, wow what a suprise, something this Iowa boy aint used to!

Bug-un

Posts: 81 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not to worried about the mama and papa, but the bad ones are those three and a half puppies in that one picture.

I ruined a good pair of Wranglers one time getting from the gate to the front door and back to the gate. Our friends had a puppy about three times the size of those in the photo. He thought my leg was some kind of a moving "chewy". Didn't hurt me but left tooth marks all over the Wranglers.

Posts: 13807 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote