New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just returned from my hunt at Cedar Ridge Farms
 Login/Join

Picture of Whitworth
posted
Just got back from my 3 day hunt last Friday and have to say that it was by far the most fun I have had hunting which coincides with the fact that it was the toughest hunt I have ever been on and the hogs over there truly make you work for it. If you are not familiar with Cedar Ridge (www.cedarridgehunting.com), they are a family owned outfit in Fayette, Missour ('bout a 2 1/2-hour drive from KC Airport). The hunting area isn't very big, but the terrain is difficult and the forest is very thick. The hogs are pure European stock and look nothing like the ferals I'm used to hunting here in Florida. Plus they have their winter coats now, so the mount will look good.

Basically, I hunted my keester off and either these hogs are smarter than their Florida cousins, or I'm getting sloppy, but it was hell tracking them. They seem very smart and they're very quite. Almost deer-like in some situations (you know how deer simply appear?). Anyhow, I saw many huge boar, but typically I saw their hindquarters disappearing into the brush, not allowing for anything but perhaps a Texas heart shot. I passed on about a 200-lb hog on the first day, hoping for a bigger one.

Alas, it was Thursday night, I'm still without a kill, I'm trying out a stand again. I'm shooting a rifle with open express sights, it's nearly dark, I can't really see my sights anymore, it's cold and I'm about to give up and head back to the bunk house. Out of nowhere I see a black shape moving into the clearing. Can't tell how big he is in the fading light from about 50 yards away, and I don't care as damnit I'm taking home a hog! I get an open shot, he stops and raises his head. I estimate where my shot "should" go just behind the shoulder. My Whitworth barks, the hog shoots off to my left crashing through the brush. The noise abruptly stops.

I head back to the Ranger (6 wheel buggy) to get my guide, Seth and we head back to the bunk house to locate flashlights. We head back and look for a blood trail, and promptly find one where I thought I shot it. About 20 yards away we find a piece of its liver. Another thirty yards and lots of blood later we find my hog. Not very big at 185 lbs, but he looks realy good and will make a fine mount.

The autopsy revealed that my round shredded his heart, took his lungs and liver out, yet he still ran 50 yards! Tough buggers! As soon as I figure out how to post the pics, I will.

It was a great hunt -- a real challenge with nice lodging and a great host and guide. Oh and it's priced right. I highly recommend it if you don't mind working for your trophy.

Whitworth

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What were the accomodations like and what kind of support did you get from the staff? Specifically did they try to put on any "drives" for you? What about preperation of your trophy and meat?

When you say the terrain was difficult do you mean it was hilly and steep? Did they have prepared blinds (ground or tree) or did you simply back up to a tree?

Is camo clothing a good idea?

Was there anyone else on the property while you were hunting?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip. Tell us about the rifle and load you used. Did you take any of the meat home? Pig meat is one of my favorites.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Bill,

When I wasn't using a stand -- they have a couple of tri-pods and a tree stand, I was more often then not guided, save for my last day when I went out alone. They are very accomodating and basically the type of hunting you want to do is up to you. Seth, the proprietor did some brush pile beating for me which proved successful in driving some of the hogs out that had bedded down.

Skinning is included in the price. Plus, they have several taxidermists to choose from ranging from good to great. My boar's head has been sent to the taxidermist by Seth.

The bunk house has a full kitchen (and a coffee maker!), good beds and heat -- thankfully (I live in Forida!). Seth and his dad are gun nuts and in the off chance that you lose your ammo (who knows what can happen at the airport) they are likely to have ammo as they reload everything up the .458 Win Mag.

I would definitely opt for cammo, and by rough, the terrain is hilly with ravines and thick forrest that requires a good deal of crawling if you're not opposed to it. I was the only party booked, so I was alone on my hunt (my brother-in-law flaked). If you are booked for a three day hunt, you will be the only ones out there.

I'm shooting a Whitworth in .416 Rem Mag. I use 400 grain Hawk Deadsoft slugs at about 2400 fps. Devastating! I just don't like to chase hogs through the brush (ended up doing just that anyway!). That's a particular problem in Florida with the palmetto and the swamps.

Still trying to figure out how to post pictures.

Whitworth

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Whitworth

I am interested in Cedar Ridge. Did you see quite a few Boar? Do you think it is the norm for it to take two to three days to get your Boar? I am limited on time and may only have two days at the most.

Thanks
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark -- Yes -- saw plenty of boar. Plenty of great trophy-level boar. Definitely no shortage. Do I think you can get something in two days? Most certainly. I passed on one the first day as I generally don't like to shoot the first thing I see. I really feel it is worthwhile if you can't tell from my enthusiasm!

Whitworth

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Whitworth! I am currently trying to work out some dates with Seth.

Thanks again
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try to book something in the spring as well -- if I can get the flaky brother-in-law to "clear his calendar".

Whitworth