Find
Notify
Tools

LEVER GUN - Bushpig
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys
I am looking at getting a lever gun. Dont need one as I have enough rifle and shotguns to do what I need for all game.

I would like to know what your experience has been. I am torn between the 357 mag and the 45-70, both vastly different but each seems to have its place.
I was told the 357 was good for hunting with a pack as it does not exit on pigs but can still kill.
The 45-70 is a bit like my 458 lott just less bang and more fun I guess

All info will be much appreciated

I will be hunting over hounds and out of stands etc, but the lever gun is for the hounds mostly
AHQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about meeting somewhere in the middle with a 44Mag.
Not sure about exiting on hogs, but it dang sure kills with authority out of a lever gun, and is allot easier to find. Generally less expencive too if that matters.
Just a thought.

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MDH
The 44 definitely appeals to me and is easily available
I had leaned towards the 357 because I have a revolver in the caliber but I hear the 44 packs a whole lot more punch with the bigger bullet.

What do you hunt and what dogs are you using.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find 357 to be bit light on hogs. I sure if one kept the shots. to the smaller ones it would work find but on bigger ones I perfer more power.

My 44mag and 45-70 smack them better.

315gr in the 44 and 460gr 45-70 cast bullets kills pigs very well

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had leaned towards the 357 because I have a revolver in the caliber.

What do you hunt and what dogs are you using.

I can certainly understand the attraction of having a handgun and rifle in the same chambering.
Sounds like you simply need a 44Mag revolver. Wink

I hunt Bobcat and Coon with Mountain Curs, and believe it or not, a little GSP b1tch.

Good luck and good hunting whatever you deceide.

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Avoid the 357 magnum for pigs only you can use it for head or perfect heart shots at closed range with bayed hogs ,44magnum is a good option but if you want a carbine that will serve you for everything ,provided you dont use cacht dogs like our dogos buy a marlin guide gun 4570 put a 3 point sling on it and you will have a great gun with your hands free i use one for guiding in the swamps .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was taugth to me and anotheer hunters by DRJUAN PABLO POZZI of www.huntinginargentina.com.ar today many PHs are using this carbines here ,for his dogos DRPOZZI uses his combat knives or his glock22 40sw with hollow points .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Buy a marlin guide gun there are great carbines ,very practical ,and you can use them to take from pigs to eland .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting pigs with my 44 magnum Marlin model 1894 since I got it new in 1976. I've never had to shoot twice, great pig gun and round. That being said I never mix this gun with dogs. When hunting with dogs much prefer a blade either a knife or a spear. If you have good grabber dogs that can hold a pig immobile that's all you really need. A few here in the islands also use revolvers in 22 magnum for head shots when using dogs. I prefer not to mix dogs with firearms not only for risk of injury but also not expose them to the loud muzzle blast at such close quarters to their sensitive ears. If your dogs hold the pig at bay but don't actually hang on and you can get a clean shot off with little risk to the dogs then sure.
I also own a Winchester 94AE Trapper in .357 magnum. Love this handy little gun. I have had full pass throughs on game using 158, and 180 grain bullets so I personally wouldn't use this with dogs close by either.

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I agree ,its very dangerous to mix guns and dogs i dont recommend it .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt, even more so if you cast and hand load.
I've not done it, but hope to use my 92 on hogs later in the year. A 300 grain SWC cast from air cooled wheel weights moving some where around 1,500 FPS should give any pig pause to ponder.
My other choice would be a Winchester 95 in 405 or 30-06 using cast bullets.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote