Find
Notify
Tools

New hog hunting destination:
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
Berlin! I just got the new National Geographic, and it seems that wild hogs are a problem in the city of Berlin. They estimate 8000 hogs in the city, and they are involved in a traffic accident each day on average.

Looks like they need some help controlling critters there. Wonder if the city gov't would approve of sending some of our resident pig-stickers and their dogs out? It would be lots quieter than shooting them all!

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Berlin (I have been there though, late 80s), but when I lived in Bavaria (Bamberg 87-89), there were lots of hogs out in the sticks. Nice ones too.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi captain,

you are right, Berlin (as well as Munich) has a massive boar problem! They breed and dwell whereever there are a few bushes for a little cover! They come into people's gardens in broad daylight and devastate them totally. Unfortunately they will not allow hunters to kill them in densely populated areas although I suppose that noone has proposed the rather silent way of stabbing them with dogs... Big Grin

If you put together a letter of application I will translate it for you! If they let you handle the boar problem then I shall provide you with free accomodation as long as I can be your co-hunter! Cool Big Grin

Do we have a deal??? thumb

Posts: 337 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or use a bow. Dont forget to tell them that you will donate some/all of the meat to the church or something like that to sweeten the deal so "the man" will be more inclined to go for it. Oh, and the road trip to Amsterdam might be nice.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jocamp64
posted Hide Post
Wow, hog hunt'n in your own yard. Of course it is legal to shoot hogs in if they are destroying your property in Germany, right? If not invite them inside and give them a knife! "Look out! Hee's gotta knife!!!" , "Honest offiserrr!??!"

"Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets." George S Patton.

Posts: 38 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 20 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Elwood - I'll have to start working on that letter!

The bow method is also nice and quiet, but might involve more chasing of wounded ones through peoples' yards, etc. I do like the way dog hunts end right there (of course, you still have to let the dogs chase them down through yards).

You can bet that the first time some old boar attacks a person (esp a child), the local goverment will be much more inclined to allow some culling. Too bad it always has to come to that before you get to take action.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote