Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun Ammo for Boar
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted
Doing a little research. What's the best shotgun ammo for boar?

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any good slug will get the job done, smooth bore or rifled?
Range?

If its inside 50 yards and you wanna try something fun, the Dixie tri ball load are pretty nasty!

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I like Dixie slugs......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
richland arms 10 ga SxS... 3 1/2

' mag.. 20 pellets 00 buck.. full choke..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Distance is everything, and shot placement is equally important. IF you can hit the ear or the brain cavity, a 2-1/2" slug from a .410 will kill them at 50 yards. Problem is, most shotguns are reasonably inaccurate. That compounds the problem significantly. Having said all that, I would opt for 12-gauge 00 buckshot and shoot at the head.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys!

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
I like Dixie slugs......

YES ON DIXIE!!!

Call up James or Cissey and get either their Terminators if you are shooting a rifled bore OR the Tri-Ball. Without a doubt the Tri-ball is the baddest buckshot you will ever use. Three .60 cal hardcast round ball at 315 grains each with patterns that will suprise you. I've shot patterns with the full choke in my Ruger Red Label that were a measuered 3 inches at 40 yards. Modified choke was 4 inches and Improved cyl were 5 inches at 40.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My shooting partners 870 done by Vancomp will have all three balls print nearly in one hole at 50 yards with the TRI-Ball Loads, I believe it was cylinder choke,

That be my choice BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Looks like Dixie's the way to go

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gayne,
I conduct animal control hunts on the privately owned island of Niihau. Occassionally, I get a hunter who wishes to use a 12 ga. with 00 buck. It has consistantly proven to be ineffective if used for more than 20 yds. Obviously, there is no shot placement and is spray and pray resulting in too many wounded porkers.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear friend most of the slugs are effective but avoid like the devil the buckshot ,they are only effective at contact distance ,trust me i killed a few boars and saw some being killed .
Your friend from Argetina Juan Pablo POZZI ZURBRIGGEN MD.PDCame to hunt here i recommend buffalo.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Juan,
Good to chat with another frequent pig killer. Yes, I very much agree with you. Slugs do work well. I always liked big chunks of lead that make big holes.

I did try a 50 cal. muzzle loader once. However, the island owner threatened to fire me for being too slow on the job. LOL.

Best regards,
Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Dear friend most of the slugs are effective but avoid like the devil the buckshot ,they are only effective at contact distance ,trust me i killed a few boars and saw some being killed .
Your friend from Argetina Juan Pablo POZZI ZURBRIGGEN MD.PDCame to hunt here i recommend buffalo.

I agree with this 100%. If you are close enough to kill it reliably, the pattern will bloodshot and ruin meat over a large area. The only way I'd consider buckshot is over bait and a shot where the pattern was no bigger than a tea cup saucer (6" or so). Then it would be a headshot, anyway.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dixie's Tri-ball are HARDCAST lead like handgun hunters use, not the soft swaged stuff of the shotgunner buckshot.

Here are some pictures of the actual patterns.

This was Improved Cylinder and two shots at a measured 40 yards. I don't remember the constriction offhand without looking up the original pic

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kaytod,

Have you shot the tri- ball load with a rifled barrel?

I am curious if it would have any adverse effects on group size.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the continued responses. Seems like Dixie is the way to go

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally haven't shot the tri-ball in a rifled barrel, However James has and reported that the patterns are about like a full choke.