New
Find
Notify
Tools

8x30 premium binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm in the market for a pair of 8x30 binoculars and can't decide on the new Leica or the Swarovski EL.They are priced about the same.Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I own neither, I have been more favorably impressed by Leica products I have used than the Swarovskis. Leica (successor to Leitz) has a lot of years of experience with compact optics, so I would be inclined to look at their products first.

BTW: 8x30 is about the best size and magnification for 95% of binocular usage. You're definately on the right track.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've got both leitz and swaro EL's I prefer the swaro's but everybodys eyes are different. so you're going to have to look through them and decide for yourself. one thing however, i have a set of the leitz 10x25's that i had a problem with and leitz wouldn't stand behind the warranty. also the little rubber eye cups, I lost one and had them sent me another $25.00 plus shipping and handling. thats why i bought the swaro's

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After having recently purchased a pair of Minox's and comparing them to my Swaro 7x42's, I think you should at least have a look at them. I am VERY impressed in both daylight and dusk conditions...and the price difference is a few hundred bucks....and price difference ain't a real big issue for me if the product is better.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rsm458Lott:
I'm in the market for a pair of 8x30 binoculars and can't decide on the new Leica or the Swarovski EL.They are priced about the same.Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance.

I've owned a variety of 30's including a Swaro 7x30 and 8x30 SLC and Leica 8x32 BN and currently 8x32 Ultravid.

Frankly, the Swaro 8x32 EL isn't even close to the Leica image-wise. It's quite odd as the Swaro 8.5x42 EL is right there with the 8x42 Ultravid.

I'd reccomend either the Leica BR or Zeiss FL 8x32... I prefer the Leica but the Zeiss is quite nice too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Swaro's in 7x30 and 8x30. Best I have ever used and would not others even if they were free...

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Actually I prefer the variable 30 - 500 x 254 from Meade.... animal Oops, that's a telescope, my bad.... animal

I've discovered over the years in astronomy that one thing remains consistent no matter what the optic in question is used for, it comes down to the light gathering abilies and quality of the grind in the lenses that makes all the difference...

In the case of spotting scopes and bino's you are buying a package which includes the objective and the eyepiece... Both are selected by the manufacture for overall performance and price point... Because it is a package it's much like a riflescope in that it depends on how YOUR eyes see the image provided....

All that being said, look through several brands to determine which one your eyes like the most... Generally speaking you do get what you pay for but you might find that some of the less expensive brands work great with your eyes...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
in 8x30's I would buy the new Zeiss FL's. I like the Leica's in the 8x20's and the Swaro El's in 10x42's but the Zeiss FL's were appreciably better to my eyes when I spent a good bit of time looking through all three at the sme time................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Leica 8x32 ULTRAVID thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 8x32 really is a convenient size.

I have a 10yr old Leica 8x32BA and 10x42BA, a 25 yr old Leitz 8x32Trinovid and a 30yr old Leitz 8x40Trinovid. Leica's products are great, but their service leaves a lot to be desired. The few times I've dealt with them they have been slow, expensive, and I have had to return products a 2nd time because they weren't repaired correctly. I will probably look at Swaro for my next pair of binos.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Swarovski 8x30 SLCs for 12 years and love them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a good look at the nikon monarchs they are the choice of the national bird watchers soc.
they are the best i've ever used by far.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica 8X32 Ultravid is the go. Smiler

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote