New
Find
Notify
Tools

EOTECH scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was going to put a 1x4 or 1.5x6 tradition scope on my Sako bolt action .416 rem mag. My gun store suggested a EOTECH. They claim it will be replacing all scopes in the future. They state that Eotech scopes are dead on from 1 yard to 200yrds off hand. You can use both eyes and there is nothing faster to get on a target, including iron sights. The salesmen claim that these Eotechs indestructible. Are these claims true? Has anyone used Eotech? What are your thoughts for use on a .416 for buff and elephant?

Thanks Dale

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Eotech's are used for the most dangerous game of all. But batteries die. Eotech's have been out for a long time and I don't think any of the scope manufacturers (big or small) are worried. they have a place, but I think the consensus is "Not for Dangerous Game Animals" I have one on an AR-15 in 458 Socom and it's great. I'd certainly use it for pig or brush whitetail. Not for buff! Eeker

My $0.02

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used them on bows, IPSC pistols, subguns, and on an AR. They very hardy and can be used in full sunlight. There is nothing faster on a moving target.

My youngest son is left master eyed and strongly right handed. He can pound targets with the EoTech-fitted M4! He took one with to the Sandbox.

One series of the EoTech sight uses Lithium or rechargeable AAs. The lithium cells last 1100 hours. They are recoil resistant and have been used on the Ma Deuce.

They do seem to work better for me if they are mounted forward ... somewhat like a scout scope.
I do think it should be mounted with irons available just in case, but I don't see equipment failure as likely.

As none of my DGRs have quarter ribs, I have not mounted an EoTech on one. I am considering one for my .458 AR.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also recommend Aimpoint, 7000 is great red dot sight and 9000 is 7000's improved version. You can find 7000 half price compared to EoTech. New AimPoint Micro is also nice. AimPoints have also longer batterylife than EoTech and if you run out of battery, tubular AimPoint can be still used as sight.

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
EOTECH is a Military desing one of the best red point with Aimpoint, but too take a Look at Zeiss , the made a military red point (Enginered and designed with HK) very used in Europe (Bait hunts, running shot on the forest) I dont know how look the redpoint in a sunnyday , and if you mount it to forward, you loose some part of camp of view (more than with a open sight. Regards

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two EOTech sights on rifles, a 512 and a 552. Both work extremely well, and I can second Mike's cmts.
The EOTech sight is the only Holographic sight made today. All others are simple Red Dots, although Aimpots are very well made. The EOTech is parallax free from 22 yards to infinity, while all Red Dots have parallex to contend with, the Aimpoints being the best of the Red Dot designs for parallax.
I don't see the EOTech ever replacing regular scopes however. The EOTech sights are unity power, with fast target acquisition their big attribute. They will never equal a good scope for clarity at long range. With a new set of AA batteries, I would not hesitate to use an EOTech sight on any game animal. I use Lithium AA batteries in both of mine.

Don