New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mildot Reticles in First Focal Plane
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I use a Leupold 2.5-8x32 VXIII scope with the Mildot Reticle for hunting. Unfortunately, the reticle is in the second focal plane, and thus can be only used with 8X, the maximum power which I rarely hunt with.

Do you know which companies make similar variable scopes with mildot reticles in the first focal plane that "move" along with the magnification and are not too big?

Antonio

Posts: 98 | Location: Mexico | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
US Optics, Schmidt and Bender, Zeiss off the top of my head.
Swarovski builds some FFP reticle scopes, but I'm not sure about a mil dot.

US Optics and S&B are probably the front runners in that race. IMHO of course.

Edit to add:
I had an older IOR that had a FFP MP8 reticle.
A mil dot of sorts.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheaptrick:

Thank you...

Do you know if Zeiss retrofits mildot reticles to older used scopes (Diavari 1,5-6*42)?

Antonio

Posts: 98 | Location: Mexico | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dman
posted Hide Post
Can't you just set your scope for the power you use hunting and then set up a target/measuring grid? Then you will know how much each mildot covers at 100,200yds etc... A mildot covers 3.6 inches at 100yds, right? That's a pretty random number. Mildots are a little goofy anyway, unless you think in metric. Razzer

Posts: 44 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 17 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dman
posted Hide Post
I went with a fixed power mildot. No brainer scope.

Posts: 44 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 17 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dman:
Can't you just set your scope for the power you use hunting and then set up a target/measuring grid? Then you will know how much each mildot covers at 100,200yds etc... A mildot covers 3.6 inches at 100yds, right? That's a pretty random number. Mildots are a little goofy anyway, unless you think in metric. Razzer

A “mil-dot†does not subtend (cover) 3.6†at 100 yards...An Army style dot covers .75 inches at 100 yards and the USMC oblong dots cover .86 inches at 100 yards.

Yes, you can set a 2nd focal plane scope to any magnification and determine what each dot subtends at a certain distance and magnification...but you lose the ability to use mils to determine range since the mil scale relationship to the target changes as you change magnification.

I use mil dot reticles and I use nothing but US standard measurements and don’t have any problems with it. I know nothing and care nothing about centimeters, millimeters, or meters.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
Antonio:
No sir, I don't know that.
I would "assume" no.

Premier Reticles are the only ones I know that might change out a reticle for you.
US Optics changes out some of their own I know, from time to time.

Regards, cheaptrick

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheaptrick:
Antonio:
I would "assume" no.

Premier Reticles are the only ones I know that might change out a reticle for you.

Regards, cheaptrick

I just spoke to Chris Thomas the other day and they have severed the business relationship with Leupold and they are no longer offering their reticles for Leupold scopes...and will only service and work on ones that were purchased from them originally.

I have three Leupolds (two rifle scopes and a spotting scope) that I bought from Premier and they all gave first focal plane GenII mil dots in them.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
quote:
Originally posted by cheaptrick:
Antonio:
I would "assume" no.

Regards, cheaptrick

I just spoke to Chris Thomas the other day and they have severed the business relationship with Leupold and they are no longer offering their reticles for Leupold scopes...and will only service and work on ones that were purchased from them originally.

I have three Leupolds (two rifle scopes and a spotting scope) that I bought from Premier and they all gave first focal plane GenII mil dots in them.

Thanks for the SITREP @ Premier, Rick.

Also, good explanation on the value of a FFP mil dot reticle earlier in this thread. Well said.

cheaptrick.....out!!

One of Us
Picture of FlyingAce
posted Hide Post
OK, so if I wanted to figure out that which power my mildot reticle shows full value spacing between dots; I would make a target that , say, looks like my reticle with spacing at 3.6 or 0.75 inches between dots at 100 yards?

Jim Mace

For all things WSSM...
http://wssmzone.com

Some told me, "Jim, sorry, you just can't...". To those I reply, "Watch Me..."

Posts: 84 | Location: Spokane, Washington | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One mil subtends (covers) 3.6 inches at 100 yards.

Just draw a heavy 3.6 inch black line or a black dot that is 3.6 inches in diameter on a target placed at 100 measured yards and turn your magnification dial until the line/dot fits between the centers of any two of the dots, or from the cross hairs to the center of the next dot on your reticle...and that is the power setting you must be at in order to have a visual mil relationship to your target.

One of Us
Picture of FlyingAce
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification

Jim Mace

For all things WSSM...
http://wssmzone.com

Some told me, "Jim, sorry, you just can't...". To those I reply, "Watch Me..."

Posts: 84 | Location: Spokane, Washington | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote