Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minox Scopes
 Login/Join

posted
What experiences have you guys had with Minox scopes?

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
I have a ZA3 3-9x. Very nice glass, IMO, as good or slightly better than a Conquest. No complaints here.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I'll second Cane Rat's assessment. tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a ZA5 4-20 x50
Compares in quick assessment to conquest clarity.
Have a real comparative low-light test organised for comparison with a group of conquest , swaro, & a couple of others.
ie
relative contrast resolution vs sunset time.
Same magnification , same objective size.

just waiting on everyone to get together on the same available day.

Will post up the tabulated results for giggles when complete.

One thing I'm not particularly happy with the Minox is the eyepiece thread has a lot of movement in it...........no other Minox to compare it with so unsure if its an endemic issue or a one-off.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they are made by the same outfit using the same components.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I wouldn't be surprised if they are made by the same outfit using the same components.

What outfit?

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

He He
Schott factory is a Zeiss/Leica(Minox) partnership so I expect so in terms of workmanship
Just remains to be seen whether the glass stock is the same , between ZA5 & Conquest
( given the pricepoint difference between the scopes).

Hence the idea of the contrast resolution & light level test series to try to answer the question in practical terms.

ie
they appear the same clarity in good light...............how do they compare at lower light levels.
grey/green/brown positive & reverse contrast with black 3" bull on white as the control target at 100yds.
minimum 3 shooters cycling each scope thru the target series every 5 min until black on white is the only target that can be resolved by the best scope as the light falls.

Should be interesting for giggles.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cane Rat

I don't know what outfit, but take a close look at them. They look almost identical.

As has been stated, Zeiss own Schott, which makes glass. That glass is probably sent here to a plant than also subcontracts out to an extruding company that makes the tube. And I would guess that another machine company makes the internal adjustment components. And then they are all probably sent to another Subsidiary that does the assembly, at which point in time either a Zeiss or a Minox logo is placed on the scope, and at which time the scope is placed in either a Zeiss or Minox box for shipment to the retailers.

Those scopes are so similar (in my opinion) that there has to be some sort of relationship between them.

The glass can certainly be the same glass, even if the scopes do not compete in the same price point. Perhaps the mechanical system in the Minox is not as rigorous as in the Zeiss. Perhaps the guarentee is not as long. Perhaps the coating system isn't as good. It could be a whole range of things.

Another possibility is that one of Zeiss's designers quit at Zeiss and went over to Minox, or vice versa.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cane Rat

I don't know what outfit, but take a close look at them. They look almost identical.

As sas been stated, Zeiss own Schott, which makes glass. That glass is probably sent here to a plant than also subcontracts out to an extruding company that makes the tube. And I would guess that another machine company makes the internal adjustment components. And then they are all probably sent to another Subsidiary that does the assembly, at which point in time either a Zeiss or a Minox logo is placed on the scope, and at which time the scope is placed in either a Zeiss or Minox box for shipment to the retailers.

Those scopes are so similar (in my opinion) that there has to be some sort of relationship between them.

The glass can certainly be the same glass, even if the scopes do not compete in the same price point. Perhaps the mechanical system in the Minox is not as rigorous as in the Zeiss. Perhaps the guarentee is not as long. Perhaps the coating system isn't as good. It could be a whole range of things.

Another possibility is that one of Zeiss's designers quit at Zeiss and went over to Minox, or vice versa.

I gotcha! Makes sense, they are very similar. I bought my 3-9x from Doug, it's a great scope, especially considering what it cost.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3x9 on a .270 Win and have 2x10 that is going on my new Ruger Hawkeye African .375.

I like both of them very much. I have yet to shoot the .375 so we shall see.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1927 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cane Rat

As has been stated, Zeiss own Schott, which makes glass. That glass is probably sent here to a plant than also subcontracts out to an extruding company that makes the tube. And I would guess that another machine company makes the internal adjustment components. And then they are all probably sent to another Subsidiary that does the assembly, at which point in time either a Zeiss or a Minox logo is placed on the scope, and at which time the scope is placed in either a Zeiss or Minox box for shipment to the retailers.

I thought I read somewhere that Zeiss merely sells/licenses the technology out for the Schott glass. Don't remember for sure, I could be wrong. i.e. Sony cameras with Zeiss lenses.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
I ordered a couple from Doug. Here is what I know: Schott glass, assembled in the US and now with a lifetime guarantee. I have heard elsewhere that Leupold assembles the Leica scopes under contract. Leupold offers lifetime guarantees for its own line.

On a related topic, I just bought eyeglasses with Zeiss lenses here in Japan. The materials disclose that the lenses are in fact made by Asahi Glass so the brand is licensed from Zeiss. Naturally, as with all trademarks, the licensor demands quality control.

Draw your own conclusions. I think Leupold probably assembles Minox scopes in the US and that they come out pretty darned good quality. Certainly the specs and features are great, as is the lifetime warranty. I would expect them to be very high quality at a mid-quality price, especially with Doug's bargain prices.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered another one from Doug, a 1.5x8x 32 Z5 for one of my African rifles.

That seems to me to be the perfect power combo for the .375 and 9.3 rifles that could see DG and PG on the same trip.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1927 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the 1.5-8x32 ZA5 recently too.

I've had several Conquest scopes but this will be my first Minox.

I frankly don't find them that similar to the Conquest. No more than just about any other scope.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ZA5 has gone in the rubbish.

The mechanical quality was the worst I have ever had in a scope. It showed reticle displacement as a reaction to shock. And the click adjustment did not move the reticle with every click on several occasions. I have confirmed both problems on a professional collimator.
The glass was good. But unfortunately there is more to a good scope than just glass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least in the States Minox has gone to a complete No Fault Lifetime Warranty so if my ZA5 doesn't track I'll just let Minox make it right for me.
I have zero qualms about trying the ZA5 when they are confident enough to stand behind their product to this extent.
Not to mention the fact that since I bought the scope from Doug and Neil at CameralandNY they'll take care of me perfectly should I be unhappy.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is one poster on AR who has the 1.5x8 Minox on a .375 WBY, no problems, I will soon find out if a .375 Ruger can make it move.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
375 WBY should certainly be a valid test. If anyone has any experience with these scopes of a .338 WM or a .340 WBY, I'd like to know. In my experience, those are the ones that impressed me as having the sharpest kick in the shoulder of any of the rifles I've tried.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm the one with a 1.5-8x32 on a 375 Wthby. Has held perfect zero for over 350 rounds.. Full house 300gr barnes x over 89 grains of Norma MRP..

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
Like several i grabbed a minox when cameralandny put them on sale.
i have a straight spotting scope, and a za3 3-9x40.
i'm considering picking up a 2-10 as well.

the 3-9 will go on my 375HH, and hopefully i'll get to test it soon. i dont get to shoot much living in the DC area, but i'll try to get it to at least an indoor range, and see if the scope will hold its zero.

so far i'm impressed with my spotter, although, again, not much use for it around DC. i'll be taking it to nebraska with me later this year on my deer hunt.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed to see a "made in China" sticker on the recent ones I looked over. Other than that they seem OK.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cameraland has the Minox scopes on sale again.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Schott factory is a Zeiss/Leica(Minox) partnership so I expect so in terms of workmanship
Just remains to be seen whether the glass stock is the same , between ZA5 & Conquest
( given the pricepoint difference between the scopes).

Valdada also uses Schott glass. wonder how that connection fits in the scheme of things?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McFox:
My ZA5 has gone in the rubbish.

... unfortunately there is more to a good scope than just glass.

What is the field blending (ie the black ring or lack of one around the view) like on the Minox scopes? This is a very important matter on small scopes for hunters of dangerous/wary game, who need to get on to the target quickly.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot really say. As I said - it's gone. So I can't check.
I had bought it for target shooting and it were more the mechanical properties of the scope that I disliked.