Find
Notify
Tools

Docter 7x40B, any experiences
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a 7x42 bino.
Should be very durable. Zeiss, Leica and Svaro are too high in price.

Found the Docter 7x40B, which is in ma price range.
I like the design.

Any recommondations?

http://www.orniwelt.de/products/Fernglaeser/Docter/B-Da...d92358b82546e784258b

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, the Docter binocular of your URL is a current, simplified version of the DDR (East German) Zeiss-Jena EDF binocular, circa 1988. Among the differences between the EDF and Docter's are: no tritium module to illuminate a mil scale reticule; no mil scale reticle; no [included] neutral snow lenses.

I owned four EDF binoculars and wrote an instruction manual for a man who bought a box car-load in 1991.
The Docter version should be comparable in every way with the EDF, so although my comments pertain to EDFs, you can extrapolate.

The binocular is optically excellent. Construction is the second most durable I've experienced. The only binocular more durably assembled, in my opinion, is Zeiss-Wetzlar's 8x30 B/GA IF Olive (Classic). For hunting, the individually focusing eye pieces are no handicap, and this method of diopter adjustment is significantly more robust than central focusing -- hence the reason militaries throughout the world use IF focusing.

The eye cups accordion to accommodate spectacles. This is the best method to achieve the result I've used. Diopter adjustment on EDF is ± 7 diopters. This exceeds nearly all binoculars. Field of view is large even when wearing spectacles.

Maintenance of protective rubber will be less expensive than any other rubber-protected binocular because its rubber is a modular assembly. I've had to replace the rubber on one of my 8x30 B/GA IFs after about 40 years' use. So this benefit is not terribly significant.

My experience with Leica, Zeiss-Jena, Zeiss-Wetslar, Nikon, and Bausch & Lomb binoculars is that Schott optical glass, or perhaps exterior coatings??, is more abrasion resistant than Japanese optical glass. Quality of glass and grind is comparable.

The only significant liability is weight. Aluminum telescope barrels and solid metal hinge assembly weigh more than polycarbonate or other plastic as it is more robust. The reason I disposed of my EDFs in favor of the similarly constructed, smaller 8x30 B/GA IFs was the weight difference. I am in Montana and I'm not nearly as young I prefer.

To summarize, Docter Optic (the original name of the company who bought the Zeiss-Jena factory in the early 1990s) capitalized on a first-class binocular, upgraded manufacturing to create a first-class commercial version. And yes, I'm aware that Zeiss-Jena marketed a "Safari" model that was a commercial version of the EDF. You cannot buy a better binocular. Period.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Naphtali,

thank you for the very detailed informations.

This bino is perfect for me.

I will buy it, just looking for the best price.

Thank you again.

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote