THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Leupold 2.5-8 VX111 or 3-9x33 VX11 Ulralite for Kimber Montana .308

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold 2.5-8 VX111 or 3-9x33 VX11 Ulralite for Kimber Montana .308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering which of these two is better suited to the lite weight Montana Kimber .308.....................due to it being a light weight gun I am leaning towards the VX11 Ultralite 3-9 leupold, it says it's 17% lighter but does that mean it's 17% less rugged than the Vari X 111 2.5-8 leupold I am also considering ??

cheers pc.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Why not a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm? It is compact in form, an ounce lighter than the VX-III 2.5-8x36mm and a nice performer. Otherwise, the Leupold Ultralight should do fine. I wouldn't worry about its durability as it was designed for your application. Also think about the Leupold VX-II 2-7x28mm Ultralight.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I have all three scopes mounted on rifles. If weight is your main concern, go with the ultralights. However, the 2-7x that Jackfish recommended will probably be your better choice. Why? Its lighter than the 2.5-8x (which is actually my favorite), it will give you noticeably more field of view, and seems to have more actual eye relief regardless of the specs.
I have the ultralights on rifles for my youngest grandkids where weight is important, but recoil isn't. Also have one with the adjustable objective on a custom sporter weight Ruger 10/22. Its ideal here.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I handled a Kimber 84 Classic in .260 with a Leupold 2.5-8 on it and it seemed just about right actually.

The 2.5-8 is my favorite all around hunting scope, got a few that have taken a beating for years and they've held up.

posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle (absolutely LOVE it by the way). I put a Kahles 2.3-7 on it because of the light weight & great glass. Three years of substantial field (and mountain, and bushveld) use & nothing but praises. Oh yeah, try the Tally alum ring/base combos (you paid the money for the light Kimber, so keep it light). My 2cents.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've recently acquired an 8400 Classic (300 WSM) and am looking for a scope, also. While my first choice would be the 2.5-8 VX-III, it is so little superior to the 2-7 VX -II that I don't believe it to be worth the price difference. For that matter, I don't find the friction adjustments on the VX-I disadvantageous, and would as soon have that model (despite all of the advertising hype from Leupold to the contrary, the optical performance of all three scopes is essentially the same).

I have a 3-9 Compact that I've considered robbing off of another gun, but it does have a somewhat more restricted eye box that I wouldn't be as comfortable with as the "full sized" scopes with the hard-kicking WSM. The current "Ultralight" is slightly different from the "Compact" that it replaced, and the eyebox may also be more generous, but I don't know this for a fact.

The reason I don't already have a scope on the gun is that I almost always shop for used Leupolds. I've probably bought 90% of the dozens of Leupolds I've owed as used scopes and have never been disappointed.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once spoke to a leuopold rep. on this exact subject,and he said the 2.5-8 var III is the best scope the company has made. I also think it is an excellent choice for a mountain type rifle..

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 473 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cazador2
posted Hide Post
the 2.5-8 X 36 comes with Boone&Crockett ret. that can help you a lot with long shots

one of us
posted Hide Post
I concur with Stonecreek. VX-1s offer everything I need in a scope at a very reasonable cost.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the kimber montana in 260 remington. I mounted a new leupold 2.5 x 8 vari-X3. To me it is the perfect size scope and does not overpower the rifle, and if I remember correctly it is/was the brightest scope that Leupold makes.
gwb
ps, I used to be in sales and we had a saying that the memory of poor quality or service lingers long after the joy of low price fades. I've very seldom been sorry when I went first class.

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Although I like and use the 2.5-8 VXIII on different rifles, I use a VXI 2-7 on my Montana and custom M70 in 358 Win and find it to be the perfect scope for the application. I think it's the best bang for the buck; you can buy two for the price of one VXIII. In fact, I put a VXI 1-4 shotgun scope on my Sako 375H&H. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
I concur with Stonecreek. VX-1s offer everything I need in a scope at a very reasonable cost.

if you are lucky enough to get one that you can turn the power ring without a set of channel locks and a 4' cheater bar.

i put a 2-7x33 on a ruger frontier and while I can make it work becasue the style of hunting i focus on, I can imagine that someone else would be furious in thier attempt to actually turn the power ring by hand.
i have to hold the rifle in the off hand w/ the power ring in the other hand and turn with great force to budge it. it moves from 2-4 1/2 then holds tighter then moves w/ addition force needed to 6. i then must pump myself up like a powerlifer to get it to 7.
gloves?
rain?
rotflmo
i'd never get it turned.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:

if you are lucky enough to get one that you can turn the power ring without a set of channel locks and a 4' cheater bar.

Yeah, the Leupold variable power ring is notoriously stiff -- which in part reflects the close tolerances of the design. However, when one is as stiff as yours, don't hesitate to send it in to the service department for an adjustment or replacement.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help folks............I was not to worried about the price difference between the two scopes I wanted to make the right choice.........well I came to a conclusion due to the fact that it's a "light weight gun" and ordered the "lightweight talley mounts" I have kept the theme and decided upon the Vari X11 Ultralight 3-9x33 with the Long Range reticle, this reticle just has two dots on the vertical cross hair to use as hold over references.

Thanks for the help

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt you will regret your choice.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote