Find
Notify
Tools

Ocular Lens Housing Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Which makes of fixed power or low magnification variable scopes (max of 3-to-9-X) have an ocular lens housing diameter of 1.3" or less, if any???

(Scopes need not be currently still in production......)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck, I have a Zeiss diavari 3x9x36 that is right at 1.3", to my eye and caliper maybe a skoche less.

It's a great scope, I bought it on closeout about 5 or 6 years ago and although I'm a fan of larger objectives, I have to say this thing sure is clear, and it does pretty well in the low light woods, not as good as my 50mm rigs, but it shouldn't I guess.
It's been on and off of a bunch of rifles, from a 25.06 to a .375 H&H Sauer and it holds zero just fine....it currently resides on a 'plinking rig' a Sauer 202 in .243.

I just thought about a conquest 3x9x40 I've got, it might qualify too, they still make these current production I think.....I'll measure it later and let you know.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish -

Thanks for that info. I want to put the scope on a Brno ZKK-601, in an original set of rings. The ocular housing can't be any bigger in diameter than 1.3" or the bolt handle will not clear it. I could always go to new rings, but do not wish to do that...besides, something like the Zeiss you describe would be perfect for it in terms of power, qualioty, and being "of the period" when the rifle was built.

Thanks again. If you come up with any others, please let me know.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The recently discontinued "Compact" line from Leupold (2-7, 3-9) has a small ocular housing. The Compacts were recently replaced with the "Ultralight" line, which apparently (according to the difficulty a friend had with mounting on a Ruger 77/22H) has a larger ocular. You can frequently find scopes from the previuos Compact line on ebay, Auction Arms, or Gunbroker.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek - That's more good news...I can no doubt find some of those at local gun shows, too. And there is one of the two bigger ones of this area each year coming up in just two weeks.....a 2-7 would be perfect for my uses!

AC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck, I'm sorry I measured WRONG. The diavara is 1.53! My bad! The conquest is even larger--closer to 1.68.....The only scope I have that qualified is an old (real old) Weaver K-4 2x7, on a rifle passed down from my grandfather to my dad to me. I've seen a lot of scopes like these at gun shows, they aren't much optically though.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, and if I come up with anything else I'll let you know. Sorry about the snafu on the Diavari measurement.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's perfectly okay, Don. Thanks for all your efforts. I was sure I used to have an old, very early Weaver K-3 with a post reticule which would work, but just wondered if there was something else out there that is still small enough.

Even the oldest Weaver K-series (the ones with the brass lens-retaining ring on the ocular housing) were infinitely better optically than my p'or old eyes, so guess I will look for another one of them.

Thanks again for you effort.