New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schmidt & Bender Summit Problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have had a summit for a few years, has been on a 30-06 and seen little use.

Put in on my .375 todsy, took it to the range, and when I was sighting it in, it would impact consistently left of point of aim. Began about 12 inches off and I dialed it until it was 2" to the left and then had no more room to adjust the scope.

I assume I've got a broken scope, but am hoping there is an operator error that I can correct as I'm heading to Africa in several weeks and had hoped to use the scope.

Thanks for any ideas.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If it had been doing fine on your other rifle and the problem began with the switch, I'd suspect ring/base alignment before anything else.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, might need to shim the rings. There are quite a few rifles out there where the base screw holes are not aligned with the bore.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are CZ rings on a BRNO 602. They clamp onto the receiver - higher probability of being out of alignment?

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
While you'll have to burn a couple rounds of ammo, the easiest way to know if it's a scope problem is to put it back on your other rifle exactly as before. If all is well, then you know it's not the scope.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have had more issues with scope alignment problems and the need for shims on CZ rifles than all other makes and models combined.

Mike

Posts: 21390 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is very likely the alighned of the dovetails cut into the action or the barrel is not pointed in the same direiction as the centerline of the action.

Your origianl scope had more windage adjustment than the S&B and could correct for the alignment run out.

Google the amount of correction in each scope to give you an idea.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy: What are your thoughts on using a bore sight to confirm or rule out a dovetail offset?
All my scopes (but one) that had been centered right in the middle of their adjustment range would always show the cross hairs somewhere within the graph.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5181 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use an older collimator to confirm windage and elevation run out. It has saved my bacon many, many times.

Not to long ago we set up quite a few Pre-64 Model 70's for a client that wanted all of them mounted with Swaro Z6's. I chose to use the older style Leupold/Redfield windage screw rear base mounts to allow for any misalignment issues.

It was a damn good thing we did or we would have run out of windage adjustment on two of those rifles.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
I also use an older collimator to confirm windage and elevation run out. It has saved my bacon many, many times.

Not to long ago we set up quite a few Pre-64 Model 70's for a client that wanted all of them mounted with Swaro Z6's. I chose to use the older style Leupold/Redfield windage screw rear base mounts to allow for any misalignment issues.

It was a damn good thing we did or we would have run out of windage adjustment on two of those rifles.

Yes, image-movement doesn't solve all the problems, just kids us to think it does - and leaves us with the bouncing mini-me.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I used Burris Zee rings with the concentric inserts to re-align a mostly windage off-set on a 98 Mauser. In hindsight a rookie mistake, overkill. Windage adjustable was the easy solution. Live and learn.
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5181 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote