Find
Notify
Tools

Talley/Remington 700 problem!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Just received my new Leupold VX-R and Talley rings in the mail today. Tried mounting it and I am not able to do so!! Mad

My rifle is a Remington 700 long-action (300 Win Mag)....and apparently the rings are about 1/8" too far apart. You cannot get the rings to hit the tube of the scope at the same time. I have both of the rings/bases mounted "in toward each other"....if that makes sense (meaning, the rings are as close together as possible). However, that distance is still longer than the tube of the damn scope!! I am not happy...

Has anyone else experienced this? I assume I'm going to have to go with a scope rail instead of bases/rings. Mad

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
It's not uncommon. The long actions require a long tube scope.

Does Talley make an extension base like weaver does? They do but I'm not sure how much space it'll buy you.

25X700
Steel Base for Remington
700-721-722-725-40X Extended
F .175 R .293
B
$28.95

If you use a front extension base will it interfere with the loading?

Rich

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
If it helps at all for weaver the buy back is about:

warne steel M905G = 7/8"
Weaver alum/steel 40a/S40A = 5/8"
weaver standard alum/steel 35/s35

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which scope did you buy ?

The model 700 300 WinMag is not a long (true magnum) action, it is a standard length (same as a 30-06) action. Just like my 270 WCF M 721 that happily wears a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest in 2 piece Warne bases and rings.

The Warne one piece base M674 will allow you to position the rigs where you need to. Since a 700 has a hinged floorplate, loading and unloading from the bottom is easy

IMO extension rings are a bandaid as well as being butt ugly.

Sounds like a nice rig !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tube on your scope must be too short.I will trade you even for a Tasco that will drop eight in!!!! Cool

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need a reversible front base. Call tally or order from brownells.

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x7royal:
Which scope did you buy ?

The model 700 300 WinMag is not a long (true magnum) action, it is a standard length (same as a 30-06) action. Just like my 270 WCF M 721 that happily wears a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest in 2 piece Warne bases and rings.

The Warne one piece base M674 will allow you to position the rigs where you need to. Since a 700 has a hinged floorplate, loading and unloading from the bottom is easy

IMO extension rings are a bandaid as well as being butt ugly.

Sounds like a nice rig !

The scope is a Leupold VX-R 4-12x50mm (30mm tube). The rifle is a Remington 700 Sendero SF II in .300 Win Mag (heavy contour barrel).

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
It appears Talley makes extended rings. I didn't think they did, because they didn't show up on Midway's website. I guess I will just order those and see how things go. I don't need much extension at all....1/4" should be plenty. I will say it is aggravating that Leupold would make the tubes on these scopes so short. On the bright side however, it seems to be an excellent scope. I am anxious to get it on the rifle and sight in.

I was just a little pissed earlier, and didn't look anywhere else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, that distance is still longer than the tube of the damn scope!! I am not happy...

Has anyone else experienced this? I assume I'm going to have to go with a scope rail instead of bases/rings.

This is a matter of lack of planning on your part. People want short light scopes and/or a scope with a long large objectives on long action rifles. Standard practice is to put the scope rings on top of the receiver ring and bridge. When you use a short scope you need to check the rifle and the scope before buying mounts. In many cases you may decide to use a different scope just because of the mismatch between a particlar rifle and scope.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Talley and talk to them direct. I'm sure you can buy an extension base or perhaps a one piece base much more cheaply than extension rings. Gary Turner is the main man at Talley and he is more than willing to talk to you and he will come up with the best solution. A great guy!!!!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
The issue has been resolved guys....

I was not able to find any Talley extension rings anywhere (either online or locally). It appears they are behind on production. So, I went with a Warne scope rail and Leupold PRW rings. I am happy with this setup, even though it is not what I originally planned. Thanks for your input.

I will say this....I love the VX-R so far, but I think Leupold really dropped the ball on designing the scope since it will not fit correctly with standard rings on a long-action Remington 700, which is perhaps the most common hunting firearm in the entire world.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They didn't completely drop the ball. Leupold standard bases will work. Your current solution is the best option though IMHO.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy fix. Glad it's been resolved.

Posts: 10339 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, the front bases on the QR Talley's is reversible - did you try reversing it?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote