New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope is too far away from my eye
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey All, I know this really isn't about "optics", but there really is no other appropriate forum.

I have a Remington BDL SS 700 in 270 Win. that I got back in the early '90s. I got a VariX-II scope for it. I have the scope mounted to a one piece Leupold base. The action/barrel is on an AS Precision stock. I have the scope mounted all the way back toward the butt end. I cannot get a good sight picture when just mounting the gun. I have to push my face forward in order to see the proper scope sight. One gun store owner told me I needed a special mount with rings to push the scope nearer the face. I think something must just be wrong with the way the whole thing fits me.

Oh, I also tried a regular fixed Leupold 4X scope. Same thing.

Anyone know what's going on here?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound like a scope mount problem,sounds more like the stock doesn't fit you properly. LOP's probably to long.

til later

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've had an inch or more lopped off most of mine, even the plastic one.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey JWK

There are several options. The best in my opinion is to get a different base and rings like the gun store owner said.

The first question is: Is the front ring preventing the scope from being mounted further back when it is against the objective bell, the rear ring preventing it by being against the turret housing or both. Chances are that it is the front ring hitting the objective so I'll show an option for that.

An good option is to get a reversible front dual dovetail

set of bases and a set of dual dovetail rings

This will move the scope back by the amount of offset shown on the reversible front base.

There are also the regular dual dovetail bases

and the extension rings

or any combination thereof.

It will depend on how much you have to move the scope. I have even had to buy 2 sets of extension rings and use one on the front and one on the back to get it right. The other 2 rings are essentially wasted then or kept for the next project.

Offset bases and extension rings.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with woods. Just get a reversible base and it should help out your problem.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Good responses. Just a possibility but the scope height may not be ideal for you either. I've noticed alot of people tend to mount them higher than necessary. I like to mount them as low as possible just so the scope objective clears the barrel.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote